What's new

Surface Pro 3 launched - 12" tablet, 9mm thick, 2160x1440

MCube74

Looks like Surfacr Pro and Surface Pro2 is no longer available at the Microsoft store in the US.

A sign that another Surface model may release with 10.6" screen.

cdf3

What is advantage of start button on side instead of bottom. I just bought sp2 pro, actually like the smaller size like I prefer Samsung 10 to the larger 12 note pro, but jealous of i7, lighter and what I assume to be more durable finish.

One of the reasons they moved the start button to the side bezel, is due to the magnetic strip on the bottom bezel. It allows the new type cover to magnetically attach to the bottom bezel for the new angle position.

demandarin

It also ignores the next obvious question, will the power cover work on the SP3?

I would think that since previous generation covers still work with it, although smaller or not as wide, power cover would still charge it up.

To other poster, yeah it would look funny with old cover when closed. Some may not care. As they wouldn't feel a need to rush and get newer wider cover.

cdf3

The new Surface Pro 3 is nice, but I still prefer the smaller size of my Surface Pro 2. I can easily put my Surface Pro 2 in my glove compartment. Something I would be unable to do with the larger size of the new Surface Pro 3

demandarin

Looks like Surfacr Pro and Surface Pro2 is no longer available at the Microsoft store in the US.

A sign that another Surface model may release with 10.6" screen.

They already said they are going to continue to sell pro2. Page likely set up like that to showcase pro3. Maybe they going to update with new pricing on pro2 models.

demandarin

Heres a really good video. This person put old type cover over new one and new one is only slightly wider. Looks as if older touch covers will actually cover the whole viewing display of pro3. Won't cover side bezel but as long as the viewing part of glass covered/protected, I'm sure people will use old covers forma while until upgrading it.

[video=youtube_share;aEGNVsyJfdc]http://youtu.be/aEGNVsyJfdc[/video]

We won't know until we see one actually attached and closed. Still watching video.

Its amazing how much thinner this looks. Looks like a Surface 2. Its said to be between the thickness of original RT and Surface 2. This is one sexy looking tech device. New kickstand blows older ones away.

Last edited:

Jasmine

I'm not sure about the N-trig and how that'll work out...
I also don't like that they took away the pink type cover.

demandarin

I'm not sure about the N-trig and how that'll work out...
I also don't like that they took away the pink type cover.

Videos I've seen of pen use show actually very good responsive pen input. Pressure seems fine. This must ne one of the best NTtrig implementations around. Looks to work just as good as waocom pen from pro 1 or 2.

Heres a video showing a little pen use and how well the kickstand and new keyboard works.

[video=youtube_share;bcTkHZJhsMA]http://youtu.be/bcTkHZJhsMA[/video]

I heard him say Wacom pen multiple times. Does that mean out of the box, I wouldn't need to install a special driver like my SP2 did to make it work with my Photoshop? Yes, I heard they are making a new compatible Photoshop, but who would have the cash after buying the SP3? lol.

1) I wonder how well is battery life on the i7. It should toggle just as well as the i5 should. Just that it'll fun better than the i5 could at full power. I wonder how many HT it might have?
2) Augh. Nice screen resolution. Did MS release a new Windows to run native in it? Nope. So half my software will have smaller icons on the screen or text that won't look right. And pinch and zoom won't work in a lot of programs.
3) I complained that my SP2 is heavy. I wish I could hold the SP3 already and see how much lighter it feels. To be honest, if they kept the weight the same, but made sure battery life would match with the new processors, I would love it. I hope the 9+ hours for web surfing isn't with the i3... The old stats for the SP2 gave video playback time. Now they switched it to web browsing. Now you can't compare the two.
4) Is it still stereo speakers? In the video, it looked like it was mono speaker...
5) Hmm a loop to put the pen in. They have a aftermarket thing like that for the SP2. On the SP3, it still looks like the pen is a afterthought. At least the keyboard still lights up. The touchpad didn't bother me too much. What did bother me was the left/right clicks bellow the pad. sometimes it works and other time I can't get it to cliclk. I wish they made that mechanical like on the original touch keyboard.
6) I hope they made it so the power plug no longer scratches off the paint of the Surface..

Last edited:

demandarin

If you mean from the video I posted he was incorrect. Pro3 actually uses N-Trig tech for pen. Which based on several videos I've seen so far, works just as good as waocom pen.

As for speakers, its stereo with upgraded Dolby sound. The speakers are front firing on each side, I believe. Based on other video.

Heres an Unboxing video

[video=youtube_share;si01IvWlRY0]http://youtu.be/si01IvWlRY0[/video]

Hands on

[video=youtube_share;9pXjjdy5k7Y]http://youtu.be/9pXjjdy5k7Y[/video]
I think guy in video above got the weight wrong. Its actually lighter than pro2, not heavier.

Last edited: