What's new

Surface Pro 3 lost 50% battery overnight twice now - need help identifying

Marky

Does anyone know why my Surface Pro 3 could have lost 50% battery charge overnight from 7/6 to 7/7 and from 7/8 to 7/9? I put it in hibernate (not sleep each night). I ran a battery and energy report and the battery report confirms a steady drain from about 10pm to almost 8am today (screenshot attached). I checked Windows events and nothing coincides with those times but I do have weird account log on and log off activity a few hours before the power drain when my computer was supposed to have been hibernating. No power drain was associated with the log on / log off activity.

I did pre-register for Windows 10 and understand it will be downloading leading up to its release on 7/29. I don't think it should happen during hibernate, especially when it drains 50% battery for the next morning without explicit permission, notification, or progress report. And it seems random. Why those 2 days?

If anyone has any solid idea or knowledge, please let me know here. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 015-07-09 battery report screenshot.jpg
    015-07-09 battery report screenshot.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 544
OP
M

Marky

Powercfg /SleepStudy would be the report to look at.

Thanks so much for the suggestion but trying it I got the error message: "Connected Standby is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool."

I think it's because I'm using hibernate and sleep is deactivated.

Would you or anyone else have any other suggestions?

Interestingly it hasn't happened since, but the unpredictable nature of it is what worries me so I would still like to find the reason, and if possible/necessary, a solution.

LeoPheonix

I have come across this a few times - a typical culprit for this is the use of citrix receiver, which may have been installed if you are remoting into a corporate environment for example. Installing the program solves the issue instantly. Check your system tray and see if citrix receiver is running.

It 's rather annoying but I just install it when I need it, and uninstall it when I finish. I believe the programme is not written for new computers and as such does not play well with the power saving modes.

OP
M

Marky

Thank you very much for the suggestion, but I don't have citrix receiver installed or anything similar. I did go to startup and disabled anything like Adobe, Eraser, or other older software which autostart, in case the same is true for them.

Can we rule out Windows 10 automatically downloading as the culprit?