What's new

Surface Pro 3 Not Turning On: Please Help

aerial52

Hey,
So I plugged in my Samsung s5 to my 2-week-old Surface Pro 3 to transfer some music for the gym. I transfered am album to the sd card of the phone and after the 3rd song a notice appeared "Unable to Transfer x Song" so I clicked ok and it went back to transferring and it didn't seem to be progressing so I cancelled the job. It was cancelling and seemed fine and then the laptop went off completely.

Since it went off I can not turn it back on. It was charging when this happened, battry was low about an hour before so I plugged in and continued working. So its definitely not the battery.

I tried the obvious two button shut down and held the power button continuously with no sign of powering on.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? The s5 that I plugged in is 6-weeks old and I'm doing a scan now to see if anything is wrong with it but I doubt the faultimate is with the phone.

For your info my SP3 has 256gb ssd and i5. It has been charging for 2 hours since it happened, with the white light on. Nothing to do with power.

Is it possible for the ssd to just die out of nowhere like this?

Thanks

malberttoo

It is definitely possible for some component to be bad on it. If you've already tried the power+volume button combo, I would definitely call Microsoft tech support.

kevinlevrone

It is entirely possible to have your tablet not turn on when pressing the power button. It can happen when Windows crashes in some weird ways, the tablet is actually turn on but the screen in blank and it won't turn on or off with the power button.

In these cases, there is a 2-button reboot procedure: press and hold the volume up button for at least 15 seconds, then press power button while still holding the volume up, and then release the volume up and it will start.

OP
A

aerial52

Correction: It powered up when I plugged in my charger BUT it was full battery! So it didn't turn on when it wasn't plugged in the right way up... this is strange because it charges whatever end the charger is in. So it charged and turned off regardless... then it charged for 2 hours after it turned off... then it wouldn't turn back on until I plugged the charger back in.

Makes no sense. Perhaps a member of staff can chime in as to whether there are problems with charging upside down?

double07

False alarm. The charger was plugged upside down and it doesn't give power this way. Facepalm... Thanks anyway so happy :)

You suppose to be able to plug either way and charge. your unit is DEFECTED. That is HW issue. my first sf3 had the same issue, I exchanged it. the replacement is charging any direction just like the mac charger.

OP
A

aerial52

It is entirely possible to have your tablet not turn on when pressing the power button. It can happen when Windows crashes in some weird ways, the tablet is actually turn on but the screen in blank and it won't turn on or off with the power button.

In these cases, there is a 2-button reboot procedure: press and hold the volume up button for at least 15 seconds, then press power button while still holding the volume up, and then release the volume up and it will start.

This didn't work. The tablet would not turn on with this method. It only turned on when I plugged in my charger.

OP
A

aerial52

You suppose to be able to plug either way and charge. your unit is DEFECTED. my first sf3 had the same issue, I exchanged it. the replacement is charging any direction just like the mac charger.

Wow serious? Man that sucks. You're partially right. With my model it does charge upside down, or at least it appears to charge. Maybe it says it does but really I doesn't?

for some reason when it went off it wouldnt turn on until i put the charger the other way around.

double07

Wow serious? Man that sucks. You're partially right. With my model it does charge upside down, or at least it appears to charge. Maybe it says it does but really I doesn't?

for some reason when it went off it wouldnt turn on until i put the charger the other way around.

The light at the plug will come on indicating that it is charging, but it is not. You can look at the charging icon on task bar, you won't see the lighting (charging) sign. At least, in my case. When plug the other way every thing is fine. I don't know if it was the contact issue? Or some thing in the SF3 unit. Like I said. I went back to the store, got the new one and every works like a charm. I was able to charge the unit with any direction.

Artov

Yes this becoming a royal pain for me too. First I had the docking station which would not charge the SP3 and would not recognise the external screen. The firmware update (whenI finally found it!) fixed this.
But I still get the sleep mode that turns into a coma. Keyboard lights up but screen stays off.

Sometimes adding the power supply allows the thing to come back to life (battery is fully charged by the way) other times it is the holding down all the buttons (as described above) and connecting the power scenario to get back on. Looks like Microsoft are not fussed about fixing this issue. Handing the market to Apple on a plate it seems.

riggi

I had the same problem as double07. My charger worked fine for a week and then the light on the connector would be on, but the systray battery icon did not have the little plug next to it to indicate charging. If you clicked on the icon, it said "Plugged in, not charging".
Took it back to the store and the display unit charger worked fine. They opened up a new i3 box and swapped the charger from that. I had a similar problem with my SP1 charger failing.
After reading all of the charging problems, I'm not sure if it's a quality control issue, it just that MS don't have the years of experience that companies like Dell and Asus do to know how to design / build a charger that not only works, but is robust and reliable.
I'm always checking my battery icon now to ensure its still charging. I've never had that worry with any other electronic device.