What's new

Surface Pro 3 on WIndows 10 - Display Driver Issue

Joe Ferrazzo

To be honest, the normal Microsoft Driver works fine as well
Yes, it loads (no errors this time). However, I cannot use any external monitors. That is the problem - while docked, I cannot drive my 2 external monitors like I used to with Windows 8.1. Yes, I could roll back to to Win 8.1, but I'd prefer to solve the problem on Windows 10.

Let me know if anyone has any more suggestions. Thanks for all of the help too!

Cyb3rDud3

None at all? Very strange, in can run my monitors just fine. I only installed the Intel driver to get access to the bespoke timing. Which doesn't work.

Maybe that is the real cause of the problem.

Tsurugaya

Yes, it loads (no errors this time). However, I cannot use any external monitors. That is the problem - while docked, I cannot drive my 2 external monitors like I used to with Windows 8.1. Yes, I could roll back to to Win 8.1, but I'd prefer to solve the problem on Windows 10.

Right click your desktop, select screen resolution and make sure your external monitors aren't disabled. If they are enable extended desktop and apply.

agt499

I have the same problem (see thread here).
The first time I docked post-upgrade I go one monitor. After a reboot I got no monitors.
In the Screen resolution dialog no monitors are detected, and if I WIN+P to 'Extend' it just sits doing nothing.
Joe, do you have any luck plugging your miniDP cable straight into the SP3 instead of the dock? (I didn't, but it's worth a try).

I've been out of town a few days, so haven't had a chance to try other drivers...

Edit: Note mine is the HD4400 on I5

logger

With regard to you not being able to install the Intel 154004 drivers, I use slightly different variation on the install routine that was described on the previous page. Terminology is more correct wrt dialogs and points specifically to the actual .inf file. Doing it this way may allow you to get the drivers onboard.

Having unzipped the file win64_154004.zip

In Device Manager > Display Adapters > Update driver you must choose

Browse > Let Me Pick > Have Disk > Copy manufactures files from >

..\win64_154004\Graphics\

& select the file called igdlh64.inf then NEXT.

See if that helps..

logger

However, I cannot use any external monitors. That is the problem - while docked, I cannot drive my 2 external monitors like I used to with Windows 8.1. Yes, I could roll back to to Win 8.1, but I'd prefer to solve the problem on Windows 10.

Don't know if this helps but I had strange Sp3 to External monitor experience that may be related.

Post Win10 install my twin Dell monitors worked properly, albeit with Win10 scaling issues. I subsequently installed the HD5000 drivers and switched to them. This gave me custom resolutions that I wanted. Everything worked well with this for several days. Dock undock re-dock and the ext displays came back fine. Then I went away travelling for 5 days SP3 only. On my return I docked the SP3 and there was no sign of my external monitors in the Win10 Display Settings. No amount of manipulation in the Win10 Display setting would bring them back.

Then I noticed a difference in the Intel Graphics menus with and without external monitors. When you right click the desktop undocked you see two Intel Icons

Graphics Properties
Graphics Options

When docked and external monitors are present I see an extra Intel menu (even though the monitors are not necessarily working)

Graphics Properties
Graphics Options
Display Port topology

At this point I went into the second menu "Graphics Options" and found on top of the submenu a new choice "Output to..." that is not there without external monitors. Therein "Built-in Display" was checked. I scrolled to the bottom of the list and selected Output to ... "Extended desktop 3" .

As soon as I did this my two external monitors returned and worked again. They also reappeared in the Win10 Display Settings again too.

Perhaps this may be relevant to the external display problems you guys have been having too??

Last edited:

Joe Ferrazzo

I have the same problem (see thread here).
The first time I docked post-upgrade I go one monitor. After a reboot I got no monitors.
In the Screen resolution dialog no monitors are detected, and if I WIN+P to 'Extend' it just sits doing nothing.
Joe, do you have any luck plugging your miniDP cable straight into the SP3 instead of the dock? (I didn't, but it's worth a try).

I've been out of town a few days, so haven't had a chance to try other drivers...

Edit: Note mine is the HD4400 on I5

It does not work to plug in a monitor directly to the Mini-DP either, sounds like the same issue you have.

Joe Ferrazzo

With regard to you not being able to install the Intel 154004 drivers, I use slightly different variation on the install routine that was described on the previous page. Terminology is more correct wrt dialogs and points specifically to the actual .inf file. Doing it this way may allow you to get the drivers onboard.

Having unzipped the file win64_154004.zip

In Device Manager > Display Adapters > Update driver you must choose

Browse > Let Me Pick > Have Disk > Copy manufactures files from >

..\win64_154004\Graphics\

& select the file called igdlh64.inf then NEXT.

See if that helps..

This is what happens:
upload_2015-8-4_7-22-30.png

OP
Wellington Perera

Wellington Perera

Hi All,
thank you so much for all the tips and tricks. I tried all of them but no luck. After trying everything I did a clean installation and after that everything is working perfectly fine.

Frankchen76

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-5_15-29-18.png
    upload_2015-10-5_15-29-18.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 528
  • upload_2015-10-5_15-29-25.png
    upload_2015-10-5_15-29-25.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 538