What's new

Surface Pro 3 overheats in bag

Liam Maz

Even with nothing running, when I pull it out of my bag after walking to class, it feels like it's on fire, the battery is dead, and the fan is going crazy? What could be going on with it?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

You say nothing is running, I have my doubts about that. Maybe nothing is open, but if nothing is running at all and it wasn't on, (screen on) when you took it out of the bag my question is, what happens if it's not in the bag?

OP
L

Liam Maz

As soon as I take it out of the bag and turn the screen on, it cools off pretty much instantly. And it only ever starts overheating in the bag, never when it's just docked or plugged in.

leeshor

One more step, (at least), missing. How about if you do whatever you are doing when class is finished, like closing the type cover, and just setting it down on a table?

leeshor

I have to agree. Something about the position in the bag more than likely or something else in the bag with it.

kundas1

make sure you don't put the SP3 upside down (button down) maybe its hitting the power button...

ScottyS

I used to have this happen sometimes, but very rarely now if at all (I assume updates helped fix it). I use Start Menu/Power/Shut Down in the morning before I take it to work. I put it in the bag power button up, bag kept unzipped so no pressure could be on button. When I get to work, it used to be hot sometimes. Now it doesn't get hot, but sometimes it's on although the screen is off. I open the type cover and the screen turns on and it's at the login screen.

I have it set to come out of standby without needing to logon, and sometimes it comes out of standby (connected standby, I presume) but I've never figured out how it can boot itself (and I'm sure the power button's not being inadvertently pressed).