What's new

Surface Pro 3 Pen Nib Replacement

ipaq_101

Got a brand new swapped out SP3 yesterday, tried the pen for a few minutes and this is what happened to my pen nib, not as bad as the picture, but close enough after using it for a few of minutes:

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/6/11/suface-pro-3-pen-nib-wear-no-problem-says-microsoft

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/62841-surface-pro-3-pen-nib-issues.html

Called MS Support and they are going to send me a replacement, might take 8-10 business days, the rep said that it might take longer than normal for the order to process, I am guessing they didn't have adequate supply or know about this issues beforehand.

If anyone has any experience with this, please share, I am not sure on how to even remove the nib.

I have seen this happen to all the SP3's in the MS Stores, hopefully they redesign it, clearly there is a lot of discussion about it.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

I think you have to just pull it out, hopefully you can do it by your finger nails.

Worst case pliers will do and then just press down to install a new one. I will let you know once I figure it out.

ctitanic

I think you have to just pull it out, hopefully you can do it by your finger nails.

Worst case pliers will do and then just press down to install a new one. I will let you know once I figure it out.
Please, keep us updated!

ctitanic

Ok, the tip is easily removed by pulling it out with your finger nails. I'm just out of a chat room with a Surface Support. They asked me some questions about how heavy I'm using the pen and if I'm using any type of screen protector. They want to know all that to improve the tip. They are shipping me a replacement for free. I asked how I can buy a lot of them and they called a Microsoft local store, the manager did not know yet when they will have them on stock.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

Yeah i figured that out as well, very easy to do.

They have to start selling them in bulk at some point. I went to two different best buys and all the tips had wear.

The support tech ask me the same questions they asked you.

Hopefully they fix the tip before they begin selling a bulk pack, that would help minimize the need to replace them every few weeks.

gtext

For the week I had it... I noticed on the first day the pen tip was already "worn" :(
Hopefully this will be fixed by the time their released in Oz.
Is the material that soft that it wears quickly on smooth glass?
Is the pressure required very high for the widest ink?

Alex Malasch

I wish there was an alternative to this pen. I just talked to MS Support, they're actually sending me a replacement pen. All I wanted was some nibs. I guess they are out of them?

Rugbyguy541

My pen has the same wear, but I have not noticed any change in performance. If I keep it as is, could it potentially damage my screen?

My pen nib fell out and disappeared. So annoyed by this.

Update: By some miracle I managed to find it on my couch. I ordered the HTC backup pen just to be safe because I can't be without one. But I'm also going to request that MS send me a replacement because the nib doesn't seem to be secure.

Last edited: