What's new

Surface Pro 3 Pen Nib Replacement

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, the tip is easily removed by pulling it out with your finger nails. I'm just out of a chat room with a Surface Support. They asked me some questions about how heavy I'm using the pen and if I'm using any type of screen protector. They want to know all that to improve the tip. They are shipping me a replacement for free. I asked how I can buy a lot of them and they called a Microsoft local store, the manager did not know yet when they will have them on stock.
So I assume you just pull the black part not the grey plastic that joins to the metal.
I'm the guy that pulls the ring on easy open containers and it breaks off without opening then you have to get tools or utensils... as such if I pull the nib it will break off leaving a small portion inside :)

Once you have it out... is there a bottom to the hole that backs up the nib or is it hollow and the nib is just held in place by a pressure fit. back to my HYPOTHETICAL scenario of the nib breaking off, how deep should I drill to remove the nib stump?

MS is sending me a replacement pen. Spoke to someone on the phone and the process was pretty painless. This makes me consider getting the MS complete extended warranty.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

So I assume you just pull the black part not the grey plastic that joins to the metal.
I'm the guy that pulls the ring on easy open containers and it breaks off without opening then you have to get tools or utensils... as such if I pull the nib it will break off leaving a small portion inside :)

Once you have it out... is there a bottom to the hole that backs up the nib or is it hollow and the nib is just held in place by a pressure fit. back to my HYPOTHETICAL scenario of the nib breaking off, how deep should I drill to remove the nib stump?

Pull out the black piece with your finger nails, and it's hollow, insert the new piece and gently press down. You are done.

It is not going to break off, it's pretty thick plastic.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

MS is sending me a replacement pen. Spoke to someone on the phone and the process was pretty painless. This makes me consider getting the MS complete extended warranty.

Yeah you will get 3 replacements. I have the extended warranty, it's worth it for the piece of mind for me.

jrhillma

I would think that rather than go drilling on the pen, I'd sacrifice one of the replacement nibs. Put a very small drop of CA on the end that goes in the barrel, push it in until it contacts the hypothetical broken piece, hold it there for 30 seconds or so then try to pull it out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think that rather than go drilling on the pen, I'd sacrifice one of the replacement nibs. Put a very small drop of CA on the end that goes in the barrel, push it in until it contacts the hypothetical broken piece, hold it there for 30 seconds or so then try to pull it out.
But then you may end up with adhesive where you don't want it. Plastic would drill out easily even with a hand drill (T shaped device that holds the drill bit). otherwise you set the desired depth on a jig and take it slow.

mr.dj26

My pen nib is worn so bad that the pen clicks when I hover above the screen :|
Im not in the US so i'll get the HTC pen

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

My pen nib is worn so bad that the pen clicks when I hover above the screen :|
Im not in the US so i'll get the HTC pen

Call Surface support, they will send you 3 replacements, even if you aren't in the US it would be covered under their warranty period.

Liam2349

Microsoft Germany now finally has replacement nibs aswell. I just ordered them for free from Surface Support.

Can you tell me how this worked for you in Germany? Did you tell them your nib was wearing out or you just wanted replacements?

Wiidesire

Can you tell me how this worked for you in Germany? Did you tell them your nib was wearing out or you just wanted replacements?

I went into chat with Microsoft Surface Support in Germany. ( http://www.microsoft.com/surface/de-de/support/contact-us/) just choose everything in the dropdown, then click "chat".

Yes I told them my nib was wearing out (because it actual does, see here: http://www11.pic-upload.de/06.09.14/fuvyf32d8q.jpg). I asked the support, whether they want a picture or not, but they didn't even want one, I just had to confirm my serial number of my surface and my shipping address.

Liam2349

I went into chat with Microsoft Surface Support in Germany. ( http://www.microsoft.com/surface/de-de/support/contact-us/) just choose everything in the dropdown, then click "chat".

Yes I told them my nib was wearing out (because it actual does, see here: http://www11.pic-upload.de/06.09.14/fuvyf32d8q.jpg). I asked the support, whether they want a picture or not, but they didn't even want one, I just had to confirm my serial number of my surface and my shipping address.

I just looked at mine, and mine is also a bit worn, although not as bad - I haven't use it much yet. I think i'll also get in touch with them because when I go back to uni I will be using the pen a lot.

Thanks.