What's new

Surface Pro 3 Poor material quality

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It not being as high a quality as your mbp doesn't neccessarily mean it is therefore poor quality. Mbp is far less functional than the sp3, doesn't mean it is therefore of little use.

Question. Looking at that case, do you put the pen in the same place as shown in the pictures? If so i would not be at all surprised if a knock on the side could bash the pen against the edge of the surface hard enough to scratch it. Metal on painted metal is never the best of things.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

CrippsCorner

Why do they cover the metal? I take it the way Apple does things is different... I know this probably isn't a fault of the Surface but it could be avoiding if it was manufactured differently.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to consider about a device like the Surface Pro 3, it is a tablet and gets used very different than any other laptop, it get used flat on tables or desks, rotated, bumped , etc...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do they cover the metal? I take it the way Apple does things is different... I know this probably isn't a fault of the Surface but it could be avoiding if it was manufactured differently.

Why do they paint cars? These days beige computers are not desired, styling is now almost as important as the functionality of the device itself. Look at the new macbook, where styling is even more important of the functionality of the device to the point where you have to buy adaptors just to be able to make proper use of the thing.

olimjj

Do you often keep your SP3 near an Apple device like the MBP in your second image? Are you sure there wasn't some sort of litigation between the two you were not aware of? :eek:

Last edited:

vxm

I thought color of magniesium alloy was "natural" in SP3, ie. it was mixed with pigments during manufacturing process rather than painted after being shaped. I own Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga for more than year now, which is black, and despite scratches it is still black on damaged areas suggesting it isn't just painted, I was sure it's the same with Surface...

OP
N

nalbagli

Trust me when I say I take really good care of my SP3, in have never hit it or keep it close to devices that may damage it. Now seeing all the answers I realize it is probably my Sleeve, and it sucks I bought it in a Microsoft Store thinking it was of great quality and now thanks to it my SP3 is completely damaged. Now there is nothing I can do, and I am really cautious with my stuff so it bothers me a lot.

For those who answered and appeared to be kind of upset because I compared the materials with the Macbook Pro, I love the Surface and I even sold my Macbook today because of it, and if I say material is of poor quality is just because I am disappointed to take such good care of it and have it completely damaged not because I am an apple fanboy

CrippsCorner

Why do they paint cars? These days beige computers are not desired, styling is now almost as important as the functionality of the device itself. Look at the new macbook, where styling is even more important of the functionality of the device to the point where you have to buy adaptors just to be able to make proper use of the thing.

As far as I know, MacBooks are not painted?