What's new

Surface pro 3 power pack

OB1

Hello, just signed up purchased my midline SP 3 in June really enjoying it, cept for the few problems they are having and the weak app store. I am also having an issue with the power pack, had to send the first on back because the tip was coming loose from the wire. Now the the one they replaced it with is doing the same thing. Was wondering if anyone else having the same problem?

malberttoo

Hello, just signed up purchased my midline SP 3 in June really enjoying it, cept for the few problems they are having and the weak app store. I am also having an issue with the power pack, had to send the first on back because the tip was coming loose from the wire. Now the the one they replaced it with is doing the same thing. Was wondering if anyone else having the same problem?

Hi OB, welcome!

Yes this seems to be a manufacturing defect with this batch of power adapters. There's a thread in the Surface Pro 3 forum called something like "frayed adapter" or something, some other users have had the same problem.

Reactions: OB1
OP
OB1

OB1

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful, now I don't feel bad about contacting the service center. Thanks again.

malberttoo

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful, now I don't feel bad about contacting the service center. Thanks again.

No need to feel bad, you should contact them before it gets dangerous. My new one is on the way... ;)

OP
OB1

OB1

You are absolutely right, I have contacted them and should receive it within 6 to 8 days. Kinda wish I had purchased the extra warranty on My SP 3. Thanks again!

kundas1

yup, count me in also... I can't believe how wide spread this is as there is a BUNCH of us having the same problem. Makes me think how badly the fabricators of the power supply must have cut production material and MS should fine them or at least reprimand them for shady workmanship.

Reid

I experienced this too and actually wrote it off as my own mistreatment, I thought maybe it got yanked while the cord was between a couch cushion or something. I actually went and bought a new power adapter altogether. The spot where mine started separating is where the plastic connector that snaps into the Surface meets the cord that goes down to the power brick. Should've researched this prior to going out and spending the money but I needed to make sure I had a reliable power adapter before I went on a trip.