What's new

Surface Pro 3 replacement unit

Sean S

I have had a Surface Pro 3 (Core i5/128GB model) that I coddled. It was my only computer. [I am a University student.]

Anyhow, one day last week, I pulled my Surface Pro 3 from my backpack and the touchscreen stopped working. I didn't see anything, so I use flashlight for inspection. I saw a hairline crack (1 cm long) coming from the bottom right corner where the Type Cover magnetic band covers the screen.

Throughout the day, the crack spread until it reaches the other side of the screen.

I contacted Microsoft and paid $320 + taxes for a replacement unit. I was told by two MSFT's representatives that the replacement unit should be "like new" and I have the whole chats sent to my email.

I pressed them on the quality of the replacement unit. Specifically, I asked them about scratches and dents and was told that the replacement is "like new". [The whole thing on email.]

Getting to my point: If I receive a replacement unit that is in worse condition than my old Surface Pro 3 [minus the hairline crack], can I demand that MSFT sent me a new unit?

BTW, I am very picky and I do intend on whipping out a flashlight for inspection.

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

What exactly is wrong with it, and that begs the question what else was wrong with the old one besides the crack?

You can try calling customer support and tell them what you received was unacceptable. The worst that can happen is they'll say no.

OP
S

Sean S

Welcome to the forum

What exactly is wrong with it, and that begs the question what else was wrong with the old one besides the crack?

You can try calling customer support and tell them what you received was unacceptable. The worst that can happen is they'll say no.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

My old unit actually has a couple of issues: 1.) It often refuses to turn on after going to sleep for a few house. 2.) It gets hot lately esp. after I upgraded it to Windows 10.

I learned to live with the faults, because I didn't want a refurbished unit, but of cause that was before the screen cracked.

Aesthetic wise, it was perfect.

leeshor

So, you're having the same things going on with the replacement? If so the next major update should solve all of those problems but if you look around long enough o the forum you should be able to fix them. Except maybe for the turning on part.

OP
S

Sean S

So, you're having the same things going on with the replacement? If so the next major update should solve all of those problems but if you look around long enough o the forum you should be able to fix them. Except maybe for the turning on part.

I actually haven't receive my replacement unit yet.

Maybe I am just paranoid that the unit wouldn't have been cared for.

I am a University student and this is my only computer so I just can't wait for replacements after replacements.