What's new

Surface pro 3 Running AutoCad 2014

Phata31681

Just wondering if anyone out there is running a full blown version of auto cad on there surface pro 3.

If so how is that working for you and which surface pro 3 do you have?

thanks in advance.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I have a customer with 4 SP3s in the field running full Autocad 14 no problems.

Dblkk

I have SP3 i5/256gb. have and run AutoCAD and Maya without problems. Not going to win awards for rendering speeds, but it works just fine. Its been a few months since I've ran AutoCAD last, but since then I've been running vm's and PLC software 10 hours a day without a hitch. Just Monday I started using my micro sd for vm storage, running Samsung pro micro, SanDisk extreme also works well. Anything slower than those class chips doesnt work nicely. This saves the SSD wear.

if you have any in depth or more technical questions feel free to ask.

Btw, the 3k'ish screen resolution on sp3 kicks butt in AutoCAD/Sony Vegas pro 3

OP
P

Phata31681

I have SP3 i5/256gb. have and run AutoCAD and Maya without problems. Not going to win awards for rendering speeds, but it works just fine. Its been a few months since I've ran AutoCAD last, but since then I've been running vm's and PLC software 10 hours a day without a hitch. Just Monday I started using my micro sd for vm storage, running Samsung pro micro, SanDisk extreme also works well. Anything slower than those class chips doesnt work nicely. This saves the SSD wear.

if you have any in depth or more technical questions feel free to ask.

Btw, the 3k'ish screen resolution on sp3 kicks butt in AutoCAD/Sony Vegas pro 3

What vm are you using. And which plc software are you running I deal a lot with Rockwell software rs view and rslogix.

Also do some Siemens

Never thought about running a vm on the surface but it makes since.

As far as the storage and the micro SD card are you using it as the hard drive for the vm.

Dblkk

My daughter is using the i3 version with full autocad, no problem using a microsd for extra storage
the program I think is just JUST VMWARE, and I use the player as its free. The workstation class if you call it adds some great features, but is $250 a liceanse.

I'm a controls engineer and DCS is my game/life. But most plants still use plc for the small stuff so I have to ty that in as well.

Deal alot with Rockwell, but 9/10 it's Siemens. But most rockwell type need for me is older Allen Bradley and having to use logics 500. otherwise most work is in 4mation typically or ps7.

I run vm's for Siemens software, that way I can run multiple copies of customer programs and not need multiple liceanses. And that's also why I use micro sd, I can work with up to 3 customers a day, with that much program switching, I try not to use the ssd when I can avoid it. So my #1 is my wd passport, bUT when I need 2 vm's open, I run one off a micro and one off the passport.