What's new

Surface Pro 3 Scores a Paltry 1 out of 10 on iFixit Repairability Scale

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
ifixit-teardown-surface-pro-3.PNG

This probably will come as no surprise to you, but the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3 scores as badly as possible on iFixit's repairability score. The engineers over at iFixit took the new tablet through their dissection testing and gave it a 1 out of 10, which is the lowest possible score. Of course, with a device is aesthetically designed and integrated as the Surface Proe 3, this comes as no surprise. Here's a quote withe summation of their teardown. Be sure to check out the full story at the source link below.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
  • The SSD can be replaced, but not without first risking damage to the tablet simply by opening it.
  • The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, but very strong adhesive makes removal and replacement a hazardous chore.
  • Non-standard connectors make for tricky display removal.
  • The display assembly consists of a fused glass panel and LCD, and is extremely difficult to remove and replace.
  • Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.
  • The delicate and arduous opening procedure leaves no room for mistakes: one slip-up, and you'll be out a screen.

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+3+Teardown/26595

mennogreg

I don't know why a big deal is made about it, most devices in this kind of form factor are going to get a very low score. Really the only thing most consumers would think about replacing is the battery, which is why I'm surprised Panos mentioned battery replacement from MS at the price of $200-$300 (forgot the exact amount). I wonder how they plan on accomplishing that without causing other problems, as its likely both time consuming and needs to be done with great care. If it wasn't viable before, what makes it so now? Or do they have stock on standby and just pull the SSD from the returned model and insert it into the new one before sealing her up?

unruledboy

personally, I prefer the ssd could be easily upgrade, as time goes by, 256gb may be out of space within 1-2 years time....

Geneo

That's what OneDrive (or any of the other cloud drives), or the micro-SD slot is for.

As mennogreg said, like most things nowadays, it was never designed from the get go to to be 'user' upgradable. The iFixit people sound like ham-handed average joes just ripping into things (like they had a SP3 Repair Manual to consult), not professional repair technicians. Take their rating with a grain of salt. (They'd probably give most TV's the same score....)

Last edited:

suprafly

Waiting for the release date Aug 31th of SP3 core i7 512 ssd version to come out.

Attachments

• ArmorSuit_Surface_Pro_3.jpg
    ArmorSuit_Surface_Pro_3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 523