What's new

Surface Pro 3 screen black out every two minutes no matter what I am doing

cruttox

Hello, I have searched already for answers to this problem and everthing points to changing the power management settings, which I have done. I have set my power manangent to sleep after 10 min unplugged and 30 min plugged. But nothing changes the behaviour of the device. It keeps blacking out the screen after 2 minutes. When I am watching youtube media for example via the Internet Explorer App. So that would also rule out the cases where it is an incorrectly programmed app that is not calling the screens API.

Does anyone else have this problem?

OP
C

cruttox

update, it is not two minutes, it is about 45 seconds of my simply not touching the screen or keypad. this is ridiculous, i want to be able to watch video content without constantly jumping up to wake the screen.

rowrob

Yes I have the same annoying problem, I updated to Windows 10 in the hope it would resolve the issue to no avail, I have changed almost all of the setting, power management included, after a while of switching it on and off and pausing in between on and offs for about 10 seconds it comes on, I probably do this for about 30 minutes, I tried twisting the screen and this works although not good for the machine, so my guess is that until the tablet gets warm enough a crack fault in the main board causes the problem, once up and running, as it is now, all goes well. Dam annoying and maybe not covered by warranty...I lived in hope of finding the problem if it isn't a cracked mainboard. Maybe a firmware update will come out that fixes the problem and proves me wrong.

davisdeemer

I found this application is a good workaround. It basically sends an F15 keypress every minute or so to make the computer think someone is actively working. It has solved the problem.

Caffeine

Yes I have the same annoying problem, I updated to Windows 10 in the hope it would resolve the issue to no avail, I have changed almost all of the setting, power management included, after a while of switching it on and off and pausing in between on and offs for about 10 seconds it comes on, I probably do this for about 30 minutes, I tried twisting the screen and this works although not good for the machine, so my guess is that until the tablet gets warm enough a crack fault in the main board causes the problem, once up and running, as it is now, all goes well. Dam annoying and maybe not covered by warranty...I lived in hope of finding the problem if it isn't a cracked mainboard. Maybe a firmware update will come out that fixes the problem and proves me wrong.

rowrob

Hi and thanks for the help. I have fixed my problem, although very drastic it worked...to give some background...I suspected the problems with the Pro3 were caused by me carrying it in the outside pocket of me laptop case and with the contents of the case being full of paperwork and a laptop, not to mention the cables and adapters needed for travel, the outside was curved ever so slightly and caused a bow in the Pro3...I fixed it after the screen went black, by putting my knee in the middle of the screen and pulling the sides aver so slightly towards me until the screen came on...it has worked most excellently ever since...using it now in fact! I guess I am lucky I didn't muck it up for good, but I had nothing to lose!