What's new

Surface Pro 3 through airport security

jrioux

I went through SFO last night. When asked if I had a laptop, I said no, just a tablet. The TSA person asked me whether it was a Surface. When I said yes, she asked me to pull it from my bag and place it in a separate tray. I mention that this was the first time I'd been asked to do that. She said that they changed their policy since Surfaces don't look like other tablets when they are scanned. I wasn't asked to turn it on.

I don't know if this is a system wide change or just one airport or one terminal or one person. I just ran my Surface though in my back at my local small airport in the morning.

macmee

I went through SFO last night. When asked if I had a laptop, I said no, just a tablet. The TSA person asked me whether it was a Surface. When I said yes, she asked me to pull it from my bag and place it in a separate tray. I mention that this was the first time I'd been asked to do that. She said that they changed their policy since Surfaces don't look like other tablets when they are scanned. I wasn't asked to turn it on.

I don't know if this is a system wide change or just one airport or one terminal or one person. I just ran my Surface though in my back at my local small airport in the morning.

I flew out of SFO a few weeks ago and kept it in my bag and had no problems, so this is news to me

I've flown through NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Toronto, Barcelona, London and a few more places in Germany and Canada with my SP3 and SP2 and I've never removed the surface from my bag, although usually (in CAN/US) the guy looking at the x-ray stays on my bag for a few extra moments to (I'm assuming) confirm that it's a tablet.

ChiGGz

I've had to remove my SP3 a couple times because the fan showed up on the scanner. It's hit or miss for me.