What's new

Surface Pro 3 - Touchscreen problems

breadman

Hey guys!
Hope you're all doing great.

I've been using a SPro3 for the past 3 years, but around two years ago it started showing a couple problems concerning the screen and I guess the processor.
To put it simply, the touchscreen isn't working on a very specific part of the upper to mid part of the screen (rectangular area) and I'm not sure but as soon as I use any apps that demand a bit more RAM than usual (*ahem* Chrome), the device just dies. It turns off and refuses to turn on for weeks or even months. Not to mention the screen doesn't accept the Pen anymore even tho it's paired correctly, it just won't give any feedback (except for when I press the buttons on the pen, which means the problem is not the pen itself?).

I've tried updating the "Surface Pro Touchscreen Firmware" a couple times but it doesn't work, the device restarts and then asks me to restart again so it can update the firmware driver.

Not sure what to do anymore, if there's anything I could do to repair this bad boy or if I gotta just replace it... Any suggestions?

Hard.Wired

If you are having battery age issues (as in it won't turn on unless it is plugged in) that could lead to shutdown problems when the system tries to draw too much power (through the battery from the transformer). Another possibility is that if you are using the USB charging port on the external transformer (a very cool feature in the Surface line) and that USB device is sucking a lot of power combined with an old battery (mine doesn't last long these days) it could cause the system to not have enough power to function properly.

If this is the problem, you could try running in some of the lower power modes and stay away from the "Best Performance" mode to see it that helps with the shutdowns.

As for the touchscreen... if it isn't a power issue or a firmware issue, it could be physically broken in some way.

100laptops

Hey guys!
Hope you're all doing great.

I've been using a SPro3 for the past 3 years, but around two years ago it started showing a couple problems concerning the screen and I guess the processor.
To put it simply, the touchscreen isn't working on a very specific part of the upper to mid part of the screen (rectangular area) and I'm not sure but as soon as I use any apps that demand a bit more RAM than usual (*ahem* Chrome), the device just dies. It turns off and refuses to turn on for weeks or even months. Not to mention the screen doesn't accept the Pen anymore even tho it's paired correctly, it just won't give any feedback (except for when I press the buttons on the pen, which means the problem is not the pen itself?).

I've tried updating the "Surface Pro Touchscreen Firmware" a couple times but it doesn't work, the device restarts and then asks me to restart again so it can update the firmware driver.

Not sure what to do anymore, if there's anything I could do to repair this bad boy or if I gotta just replace it... Any suggestions?
there is mostly no problem occurs in built in features but if you have some miss use then the problem occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithBook

Hi... I had a similar issue (touchscreen chipped away at UEFI screen, however not in the wake of signing into Windows). I sorted out some way to fix it. Go to the Device Manager, find the "Intel Precise Touch Device", and uninstall it. Presently filter for equipment changes. It should discover new equipment - feature it and decide to "Update Driver Software". It should now show up again as the "Intel Precise Touch Device". Reboot. Your touchscreen should work once more!