What's new

Surface Pro 3 Trade-in Program?

cheetahdriver

Looks interesting, but...

I am not entirely sure that bigger is a plus for me. When I travel, or am at home, I have multiple monitors to hook up, so the size of the Surface is only a factor in the coffee shop or pulling over to write up an order. Probably have to see, and use one a bit to see if this is a plus or minus. For the high end systems, they are talking AUGUST, so that will almost be a year on the Surface Pro 2. Considering I have been off the iPad upgrade merry-go-round for some time (and probably forever), this is not a heavy burden for me if I do decide to upgrade.

Being a Small Business power user, I am usually all about the Biggest drives, the most powerful processors, etc. I have one spreadsheet that takes a noticeable amount of time to work when you are looking up something, but it's noticeable on an I7 desktop as well, so not sure the small step from mobile i5 to mobilei7 will help much. My Surface Pro 1 is now our credit card unit in the office, and I suspect that the Pro 2 will take over something else when needed. I might wait until the 4 though...

EDRo

I think the SP3 is pretty cool with the larger display, but what's really cool is how thin and light it is.. it's a nice looking device, but I don't need one. I'm perfectly content with my Surface 2 (RT). Along with my i7 gaming desktop, my AMD dual core Win8.1 lappy, and my Lumia 1020, I have everything I need!

I am kinda worried though.. about the fate of RT...

I really hope it (my Surface 2 RT) doesn't start feeling like an old net-book with XP on it soon!

millerliteboy

Not sure how much they would offer if they did do a trade in ... but I have a SP2 512 only couple months old that I would happily trade for an SP3 i7 256...

Ruriko

I live in Australia and there's no psychical Microsoft store over here. Is there anyway to get upgrade discounts here?

xramz

I live in Australia and there's no psychical Microsoft store over here. Is there anyway to get upgrade discounts here?

If the trade-in program made it here to Aus, the stores that would offer it would be Harvey Norman or JB Hi-Fi
But I doubt that would happen unfortunately :/

drolem

- The higher resolution means you'll need to use high-DPI settings, which means that most programs will appear blurry as they don't support high DPI.
You know that DPI stands for "Dots Per Inch", right?

So let's plug in some numbers:
SP2: 1920 / 10.6 = 181.132
SP3: 2160 / 12 = 180

The look awfully close to me.

PS: I know that the actual numbers are slightly incorrect because I should've used the screen widths as divisors, but while the numbers themselves would be slightly different, they would still be very close to each other.

GoodBytes

You know that DPI stands for "Dots Per Inch", right?

So let's plug in some numbers:
SP2: 1920 / 10.6 = 181.132
SP3: 2160 / 12 = 180

The look awfully close to me.

PS: I know that the actual numbers are slightly incorrect because I should've used the screen widths as divisors, but while the numbers themselves would be slightly different, they would still be very close to each other.

Yes. I was mistaken, due to bad first look videos. I did mention the same statement on another forum, and I then I realized myself that the math didn't make sense, and corrected myself there, but forgot to do so here.
Thanks thought. You get a Like :)

Saul

Any ideas if this is available in Australia? (will call tomorrow)
Also, is it purely SP for SP, or can one use other items ;-P

TIA.

LowerBavarian

I tried to get my sp2 last year in october when sp2 was Launched. But here in Germany it was really available at end of january this year. I got Mine on the beginning of Februar. So I'm a Little pis&%d that three month later sp3 is Launched. And that is a completely out of turn Date. It would be ok if it hast been Launched in Oktober this year. I really Think MS should make a Trade in Programm. Otherwise i feel really like ripped of or a Beta Product buyer!

Greetings form Bavaria

Tobi

olimjj

FWIW
We certainly don't want the Apple spec. supremacists to compare against the approximations. ;)
The actual DPI's are:
SP1 and SP2 = 207.8
SP3 = 216.3

I'm still using the original Surface Pro, and it's been working just fine. I've taken it traveling to other countries, on the train, the bus, and other various spots. I think the size is great, and any bigger would make it less convenient and portable (if that makes sense).

While it might seem a smaller bezel would allow for a larger screen, the "thick" bezel makes it easy to hold on to without touching the screen (something that is becoming more of a problem with cell phones... notice how people grab a cell phone when you hand it to them to show them something).

Just out of curiosity, my perfectly working , good condition SP1 128GB is worth $207 trade-in value (with or without the type cover keyboard). Not sure if that's a good deal or not. Though I was thinking of waiting until the SP4.

Thinking about it, it would be nice to have more internal storage capacity, faster CPU, and more RAM, but this would only be a bonus for me as opposed to a need. Of course, I still might upgrade to the SP4 in time.

benjitek

I think the Broadwell will be a silent refresh like the 4200U to 4300U, I (mostly) believe. I can understand screwing the existing customers once, but not twice.
Nope... the Broadwell will be in the SP4, not a refresh to the 3 -- hardware-wise, it'll be very similar in appearance, as the casing was designed for Broadwell's fanless operation...