What's new

Surface Pro 3 USB issues

bluegrass

Just get a powered USB hub. Use a battery pack to power it if that's your use case. If your going to do engineering you'll need to learn to do better homework.

and pull the thorns our of your rear end and get the correct peripherals you need to make it happen, like most everyone else does, instead of complaining how poorly Microsoft engineered their USB port.

OP
J

John Fry

Whoaa. Calm down! Yes I jumped the mark a bit, but I have not experienced any other problems on any other hardware, and I've handled many many many laptops and tablets in my time. As someone else said this is probably because the other vendors had provided over the top on the USB power requirements.

I don't profess to be an expert and everybody learns something new. As a result of this I know more about USB! ;)

So I am prepared to say that I jumped the gun and Microsoft did a good job!

After further testing it would seem that the stock USB HUB provided with the wireless solution didn't play ball with the SP3. When I get my USB voltage tester I can run up some tests.

I appreciate everyone's constructive input and help.

John

Last edited:

bluegrass

When you get your tester, please report back and let us know your findings. After you mentioned it, I was interested in one too so I went to my trusty tech gear purchasing site, Amazon. They had several of them that were really cheap but I found out they were for USB 2. You might want to make sure the one you get is USB 3 compatible.

megatronium

Hi Wertzius,

Thanks for replying so quickly. :)

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 can't even provide enough power for the skinny portable 4 port passive USB HUB, let alone the 3 connected USB NIC's.

How the hell can Microsoft call this product a "laptop replacement"!? Marketing rubbish!

My SP3 powers a sandisk 2 TB hard drive at 100 mbs speeds with no issues. Must be because USB 3.0.

OP
J

John Fry

When you get your tester, please report back and let us know your findings. After you mentioned it, I was interested in one too so I went to my trusty tech gear purchasing site, Amazon. They had several of them that were really cheap but I found out they were for USB 2. You might want to make sure the one you get is USB 3 compatible.

This one claims to be USB 3: http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Code=CT-USB-PW&Category_Code=USBPERIPH

It's here on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Centech-USB-P...UTF8&qid=1413922513&sr=8-1&keywords=CT-USB-PW

For UK people (like me) if you look at the one Maplin sell it's the same part number: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-usb-power-meter-n55ce (Just zoom in on the picture on their website)

This is the one I've ordered. According to my local Maplin store its USB3 compatible.

I'll let you know...

gsutherland_ca

John, how did it all work out in the end? I have SP3 for rf site surveys with Ekahau and a new hub seemed to work, but I am interested to know what 8 months of use has taught you?

Sandra Milo

Hey Guys, no need for the snarky replies!

I am just researching this now because my MICROSOFT WINDOWS PHONE (950xl) creates the same error message! I can't plug my MS phone into my MS SP3. Really? [I just wanted to back up my SD card because I have to reset my phone as ONEDRIVE has stopped working and says several of my folders are empty :( ]

The phone should only be drawing 3.85V, so there is a problem with the port.

MB2333

Hi Wertzius,

Thanks for replying so quickly. :)

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 can't even provide enough power for the skinny portable 4 port passive USB HUB, let alone the 3 connected USB NIC's.

How the hell can Microsoft call this product a "laptop replacement"!? Marketing rubbish!
Agreed! I had to go to a powered HUB to run a portable scanner that ran flawlessly using a 3.0 port on my Dell laptop. There just isn't enough power out of the surface pro's USB.