What's new

Solved Surface Pro 3 Virtual Keyboard Obscures Whatever You're Typing

Rkingw

I bought a Surface Pro 3 for my wife, however we ran into big issue that renders the Surface almost unusable. Whenever she is using the virtual keyboard (typing an email in Gmail for example - in Chrome or IE), the keyboard pops up and obscures whatever it is she is typing. On our iPad, the window below the virtual keyboard scrolls automatically, but on the Surface, the browser window below the keyboard is locked, so you can't see what you're typing!

The idea is to be able to use the Surface as a tablet, so we don't want to use the physical keyboard all the time.

This could be a deal killer. Anything we can do to solve this? Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
Rick

You can move the page around so that you can see what you are typing. I did that to type this using the onscreen keyboard and IE. Also, on the onscreen keyboard on the top right are two icons. If you tap the first one that looks like a rectangle, the keyboard detaches itself from the bottom and you can drag it anywhere you want on the screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a Surface Pro 3 for my wife, however we ran into big issue that renders the Surface almost unusable. Whenever she is using the virtual keyboard (typing an email in Gmail for example - in Chrome or IE), the keyboard pops up and obscures whatever it is she is typing. On our iPad, the window below the virtual keyboard scrolls automatically, but on the Surface, the browser window below the keyboard is locked, so you can't see what you're typing!

The idea is to be able to use the Surface as a tablet, so we don't want to use the physical keyboard all the time.

This could be a deal killer. Anything we can do to solve this? Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
Rick
Use the Modern UI version of IE and you will get a Tablet Experience the desktop version is designed for keyboard and mouse....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never encountered this on the sp3 running windows 8.1. Unless you're trying to type an email in the facebook messenger style, with the stupid worthless tab windws at the bottom of the page.

Nope, i bought this as a tablet, with a laptop as it's secondary use, and as a tablet, it does everything just fine for me, havn't touched my android tablets since i got it. Tablet use = MUI, keyboard and mouse use = desktop.

OP
R

Rkingw

Thanks Jackie! Using that rectangle icon, the email below the keyboard "scrolled" properly.

Thanks for everyone's input.