What's new

Surface Pro 3 - Why?

Nuspieds

Doesn't this defeat the mobile nature of the Surface Line of Devices?
No, it does not.

I don't need or use 10 USB devices when I'm mobile, but when I am at home, "docked," in desktop-replacement mode, yes, I do.

But when I am travelling, I travel with a 4-port hub; that's what serves my mobile use case.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

With respect to the list of my USB devices, I was in error with respect to the printer as it is networked and not connected by USB. The 2 scanners are necessary as one is a high speed document scanner and the other a photo scanner. The hard drives are each 3 tb set up in a Raid configuration for data security and are easily swapped out if they fail without data loss or downtime. Didn't find any Bluetooth speakers I liked. I could switch out the keyboard to a Bluetooth version but find connectivity inconsistent and frustrating especially for an input device. The monitor is a connected through the dislayport but must also have a USB connection as it allows for internal hardware calibration which s important for my work. I forgot to mention I also have a Wacom Pro tablet hooked up. Although this may be overkill for some, the point is that many of us using it as a desktop will have more than 7 USB devices hooked up.

I agree that this is overkill for most SP2 users and i did not initially intend to use it as a desktop when I bought it. Once i realized how powerful the SP2 was i quickly realized it easily handled my desktop tasks and used it accordingly. That's why I find the SP2 so unique. It can be used as a tablet, laptop and desktop. My point about the USB limitation in my originally post was in reference to the SP3 i7 models which Microsoft must intend to be used partially as a desktop replacement given its price and the newly announced docking station. At that price point it should be able to handle several peripherals. Obviously I don't need all of my peripherals on at one time such as the display clalibrator or SD transfer card but it is a hassle to have to unplug one peripheral when I connect another. I have never had this issue with any of the laptops I have docked in the past.

I really love the SP2 even with all of its quirks and was excited to see where this product line was going. I was motivated to write the original post as I was disappointed with the direction the SP3 is taking and how quickly it has come out. I do not have an issue with the new tablet and it's different form factor etc. it should have been announced as a new product, like the mini surface will be, not as an SP3. The fact Microsoft has called it an SP3 tells me they are going away from what I like so much about the SP2.
Knuck, you need not be apologetic for your use case whatsoever. As I read through this thread, I am totally surprised--and disappointed--by the responses that suggest your use case is overkill or that you need a desktop PC. Nonsense! Your use case is your use case and if you need to connect 10 scanners simultaneously, that's your business (process).

There is a reason that there are 10-port USB hubs; not because they are fake, but because they should and do work. Now, understandably, there could be limitations imposed by certain specialty USB devices, but then that would not be a Surface or Windows issue. As long as the device is a standard USB device, then you should not be limited on simultaneously using other devices on the same hub.

Again, we all know that some devices do not play nicely when plugged into a hub--but that's a different issue, whether it is a 2-port or more hub. As long as a device does work via hub, then using all devices simultaneously on the hub should not be an issue. And all I know is that it certainly hasn't been an issue for me, overkill use case or not.

OP
K

Knuck

Thx Nuspieds. Yea I thought it might come across apologetic. Not my intention to defend myself. I was actual attempting to point out that many of us have different uses and more than 7 devices is not that unusual. I ordered the Hub you recommended. I hope it works with my setup. I don't think I have any "unusual" devices as I have tried varying combinations and always get an error message when the 8th device is added.

Tsurugaya

The new docking station comes with several USB 3 and 2 ports add a few hubs and you could have 50 peripherals attached if you wanted, and when you go mobile you just release the Surface from the docking station.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Let me start by apologizing for questioning anyone's use case...

With that said, for me personally I wouldn't want to anything to make it cumbersome from taking my Surface mobile.I try to work this way with my old Samsung slate 7 and I used it less and less as a tablet.

Nuspieds

Cool. I guess the quality of the hub makes a big difference.
Yes, that's what I've definitely discovered.

In my case, I use a Windows File Explorer replacement and when it does file copies, it displays the throughput. Of course, I expect manufacturers to overstate the throughput, but when I was getting maximum 1/3 of the stated maximum throughput, for sure I thought there was something wrong.

So that's when I started to try other USB hub brands; different brands definitely yielded different USB Hard Disk throughput.

OP
K

Knuck

The new docking station comes with several USB 3 and 2 ports add a few hubs and you could have 50 peripherals attached if you wanted, and when you go mobile you just release the Surface from the docking station.

That certainly sounds right in theory but in practice this will not work depending on the number of devices. I have had success with a max of 7, others have reported success with 10. Once you exceed the max your hub will allow, you will receive an error message telling you that you have exceeded maximum USB resources.

Nuspieds

Let me start by apologizing for questioning anyone's use case...

With that said, for me personally I wouldn't want to anything to make it cumbersome from taking my Surface mobile.I try to work this way with my old Samsung slate 7 and I used it less and less as a tablet.
Personally, I don't t think a written apology was actually necessary, but it just goes to show that you are such a classy guy! :D

You are a very valuable contributor to this site. It's great that you are here!

drolem

By putting in an i7 chip and asking $1549 and $1949 for the two models, Microsoft must have contemplated high end use well beyond a tablet. That's why its so disappointing that they didn't look into properly upgrading the graphics chip and expand the available ports.
Nope. It's targeting mostly business users where this is a pre-tax expense, and where a single device can replace both a tablet and a laptop. (the latter with a cover)

If you look at that way, it's actually a bargain. :p

drolem

It seems clear that Microsoft does not listen to its users as many suggested upgrades did not make it into the new version.
Not listening to some persons (including you) doesn't mean that they didn't listen to others.

Instead of perfecting the excellent SP2,
The SP3 is a much better machine, but if you like the SP2, there is nothing prevents you to continue to use it.

Microsoft has made a feeble attempt to attract Apple customers with its antiquated 3:2 screen format.
16:9 is good for movies, and not much else.

There are very few benefits I can see with the new model. The CPU is virtually the same with the i5 versions and the graphics are only marginally better still using the deficient Intel graphics chips. True, you can now get faster performance with the i7 chips, at a significant cost, but you are still stuck with Intel graphics and a single USB port.
This is a tablet, and not a workstation.

Power management appears to have taken a step backward and I expect real world battery performance to remain the same or decrease as a result of the larger screen.
Actually, SP3's run time is about 10% - 20% better. (there are some reviews already out)

IMO this is not an evolution of the surface but a step backwards with what should be called a surface 12.2 This is a sad day for SP2 owners. We are not getting an improved version of what we committed to and have basically thrown away any money we spent on accessories which should be useable with the next-generation version.
Just where exactly MS made any promise, implied or otherwise that future versions, or even just a single version will be compatible? I'm feeling a great amount of sour grapes here because in most respects, the SP3 is clearly a superior product.

OP
K

Knuck

The SP3 is a much better machine, but if you like the SP2, there is nothing prevents you to continue to use it.

Do you have one because I don't see it based on the specs.

16:9 is good for movies, and not much else.

In your opinion.

Actually, SP3's run time is about 10% - 20% better. (there are some reviews already out)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Just where exactly MS made any promise, implied or otherwise that future versions, or even just a single version will be compatible? I'm feeling a great amount of sour grapes here because in most respects, the SP3 is clearly a superior product.
No sour grapes, just disappointment as I hoped that the Surface would take off and as a result we would get more app support and better updates. If you want to develop a customer base you don't come out with new models every 6 months and you don't make purchases that may have been made a day before the announcement obsolete, especially when it comes to accessories. I will be very surprised if Microsoft is not out of consumer computer hardware production within the next two years if they continue on this path.