What's new

Surface Pro 3 Wi-Fi issues acknowledged by Microsoft

ctitanic

Actually, below is the official response from Microsoft.
Capture.PNG

rksurfacepro3

I was finding two things frustration with my otherwise slick sp3. Every sleep/wake broke the wi-fi connection and wake was taking 20-25 seconds. My win 8.1 notebook was instant wake. Fix described above in link solved both problems. My sp3 came with hyper-v enabled. turning it off fixes wake slowness (apparently actually hibernate really) and wi-fi power setting fixed broken connection on wake. Thanks much from a new forum member

Geneo

I can understand the trouble replicating the problem. I have not problem hooking or staying hooked to my WiFi. I have a 18MB DSL and went to Speed Test and it says my download is 19.6MB.

Sorry some of you are having problems, but I'm not. (Wonder if it's because I gone one of the 6/30 shipments instead of the 6/20?)

ctitanic

I was finding two things frustration with my otherwise slick sp3. Every sleep/wake broke the wi-fi connection and wake was taking 20-25 seconds. My win 8.1 notebook was instant wake. Fix described above in link solved both problems. My sp3 came with hyper-v enabled. turning it off fixes wake slowness (apparently actually hibernate really) and wi-fi power setting fixed broken connection on wake. Thanks much from a new forum member
Hum, I find really weird that Hyper-v came enabled because that disables Connected Standby one of the advertising features of this device. Now, if you installed Visual Studio, that enables Hyper-V.

DanL

I can understand the trouble replicating the problem. I have not problem hooking or staying hooked to my WiFi. I have a 18MB DSL and went to Speed Test and it says my download is 19.6MB.

Sorry some of you are having problems, but I'm not. (Wonder if it's because I gone one of the 6/30 shipments instead of the 6/20?)

Geneo,

I haven't had any disconnects, but I can open my network sharing center and watch the connection speed ramp up and down as I plug in and unplug the charging cable. Here's a pic of what happens:

surface network speed plugged in.PNG
surface unplugged network speed.PNG

However, If I run a speed test unplugged the speed will ramp up as needed and match the plugged in speed. This is also on wireless N 2.4. The real issue seems to be with people using the 5GHz channel on their routers and the newer wireless AC routers. This wasn't happening before the June 20 firmware update. I'm sure this will all get worked out in a future firmware update.

Just out of curiosity open your network sharing center see if it will change when plugged in or unplugged.