What's new

Surface pro 3 WiFi adapter dead?

kregstrong

My WiFi just has a red x on it says unavailable. I've gone to device manager, uninstalled and deleted old drivers, went to ms website and reinstalled the drivers, still nothing, no WiFi, no Bluetooth settings or anything, can't get the pen to connect. Is it possible the wireless card died?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's possible...
have you powered off completely and powered on?
Try power off, then hold volume rocker UP and power on (should go into UEFI) Exit, it should reboot
After that I would try uninstalling the driver again.

And there's a good chance you may have a few days on the basic warranty unless you got it very soon after availability so get on a chat with MS support right away.

They might ask you to do a "Reset"

OP
K

kregstrong

It's possible...
have you powered off completely and powered on?
Try power off, then hold volume rocker UP and power on (should go into UEFI) Exit, it should reboot
After that I would try uninstalling the driver again.

And there's a good chance you may have a few days on the basic warranty unless you got it very soon after availability so get on a chat with MS support right away.

They might ask you to do a "Reset"
Well I have done about 25 restarts after installing or uninstalling drivers when it prompts you to. And I did do a clean install of win 8.1 and same thing. The surface is pretty banged up, bought it from a guy for 250, screen isn't cracked or anything but it definitely wasn't taken care of so I don't know if warranty would still cover this one? He told me the WiFi was broken and he was having a hard time with ms and warranty so he gave up and sold it, now he didn't tell me bluetooth was broke as well so I'm thinking if I can't get it fixed, at least the Bluetooth then I'm gonna send it back to him for a refund, bluetooth is more important to me than WiFi because I have a USB WiFi adapter and it works fine on the surface.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I would return it post haste. warranty issues can be sticky if it remains registered to another person, makes one wonder if he is even the original owner?

OP
K

kregstrong

I think I would return it post haste. warranty issues can be sticky if it remains registered to another person, makes one wonder if he is even the original owner?
Agreed, I talked him down to 250 and was thinking well if I can't get WiFi working at least an adapter will work, but I didn't know Bluetooth was linked to the WiFi card, that's a deal breaker. So yea I will set up a return tonight. It's amazon so I will be able to return it especially since he failed to tell me all the problems haha