What's new

Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10 - Screen Flicker/Flashing - Retail Build

hans2217

I just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. I log in and as soon as the desktop loads, my screen flickers/flashes rhythmically and I am not able to do anything. The mouse cursor is fluid, but I can't get perform any tasks.

I booted up in safe mode and there is no flickering issue at all and I have all functionality (well as much as safe mode allows). This makes me think that it has something to do with the current video drivers or something.

I downloaded the latest drivers off of the Microsoft website on my desktop, moved them to a thumb drive, and dropped them on the desktop of the surface (in safe mode). I cannot run executables in safemode though, so I can't actually run the executable on my surface at all. It just sits there...and taunts me.

I have read online that this was a common issue in testing and previous builds of windows 10, but it seemed to me that it was all fixed.

I am looking for help from anyone that might be able to offer a suggestion.

InspectHerGadget

I can't actually help but can offer advice just given to me by a techie from our local PLE Computer store. He says a majority of W8.1 upgrade users are having issues with the graphics drivers, rendering their systems unusable.

I guess you are the dead canary in the bottom of the cage but I've no real CPR skills.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have to start again with W8.1.

Obviously the advice is to stay with W8.1 until the problem is solved which may be a day a week or a bit longer.

InspectHerGadget

I had one customer today who upgraded successfully to Windows 10 on her Asus laptop.

I would consider it ironic if Microsoft have an upgrade that renders their own products unusable.

InspectHerGadget

Well, I bit the bullet as I need Windows 10 to show customers and set them up on it. Against all advice and my own instincts I foolishly upgraded online to Windows 10.

Guess what happened...it went well...:)

The only issue was MYOB, an Australian based accounting program which wasn't compatible. I had to spend $496 AUD to get a new copy of it. It was supposed to download in a few minutes but two hours later no sign of it. Not Microsoft's fault though.

I have to say a quick survey and I'm quite impressed. The interface is very nice and puts the Mac to shame, honestly. Edge is very good and I love the layout and notifications which actually look somewhat borrowed from the Mac but the best ideas are always shamelessly pillaged so good on Microsoft. Seriously it all looks great and I love some of the overlap with Windows phone in the notifications and some graphics.

So far, thumbs up....!!!

I am experiencing the same. I followed the instruction on how to upgrade to Windows 10. During the upgrade, I the message that it take longer than usual and suddenly, it turned off. I waited, as I thought it will restart but it did not. And yes, the battery had around 60% left.

When I turned it on, the surface was blinking (flashing). I cannot stop it.

I started the surface in safemode with network and moved back to Windows 8.1.

I will try the upgrade later.

Last edited:

simonking

I have the exact same problem here.

The device (actually a replacement for another defective Surface Pro 3) used to flicker about once or twice every day with Windows 8.1, that I noticed at least.

After the upgrade to Windows 10, it is constantly flickering, about once or twice every 10 seconds. Very annoying and makes the device unusable.

Since my previous defective Surface Pro 3 did not suffer from this issue on the same exact Windows 8.1 OS that this device flickers a few times a day on, I suspect the issue is hardware related.

However the extreme increase in frequency of the flickering after the upgrade to Windows 10 gives me hope that a software solution might be possible?

For now my best bet is probably to downgrade back to Windows 8.1.

If anybody comes up with a software solution, please let me know. Upgraded all drivers etc. through Windows Update to their latest versions.

Back to doubling disk capacities on Windows 10 now with DriveSpace...

simonking

Same issue going on. Its getting pretty unbearable at times.

I also have a Surface Pro (1) which will not upgrade to Windows 10. Left it running overnight...was stuck at the same 35% progress place it was when I was going to bed. The same device had never been able to install Update 1 for Windows 8.1 either.

Issues like this take all the joy out of working with Windows :/

I don't want to go back to Windows 8.1 either, because the new compression in Windows 10 that I enjoy with DriveSpace would be lost. I'm compressing the disk so much without any downside, this should be illegal :)

kristalsoldier

Well, I bit the bullet as I need Windows 10 to show customers and set them up on it. Against all advice and my own instincts I foolishly upgraded online to Windows 10.

Guess what happened...it went well...:)

The only issue was MYOB, an Australian based accounting program which wasn't compatible. I had to spend $496 AUD to get a new copy of it. It was supposed to download in a few minutes but two hours later no sign of it. Not Microsoft's fault though.

I have to say a quick survey and I'm quite impressed. The interface is very nice and puts the Mac to shame, honestly. Edge is very good and I love the layout and notifications which actually look somewhat borrowed from the Mac but the best ideas are always shamelessly pillaged so good on Microsoft. Seriously it all looks great and I love some of the overlap with Windows phone in the notifications and some graphics.

So far, thumbs up....!!!

Well...as per Picasso..."Good artists copy, great artists steal"!

simonking

Looks like I'll be rolling back to Windows 8.1. I am very underwhelmed with the new compression feature in Windows 10:

Forum links removed per guidelines

A major motivator for me to upgrade to Windows 10 was to enjoy the new compression which didn't suffer from the space-bleed problem on Windows 8.1:

Same here

According to my results, the new Windows 10 compression is significantly weaker than the legacy option in Windows 8.1. This, combined with the lack of a Data Deduplication engine for Windows 10 client editions, as well as the insane monitor flickering issue; leave me no choice.

I'll try to come back later when Data Deduplication has been added to Windows 10, and when I can get my Surface Pro 3 replaced with a non-flickering version for Windows 10.

Windows 10 looks like a step in the right direction, at least!

simonking

After my downgrade, the same flicker issue is going on.

Windows 10 had installed a firmware upgrade. Any idea how I might be able to uninstall that firmware upgrade?

My SP3 is almost as good as bricked right now! :/