What's new

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff,
I tried it twice and I don't see any reaction from the SP3, apparently I'm not the only one case.
Last scenario if this doesn't work call support:

Two-button shutdown

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.
  • If Surface turns on. The battery might be very low and will need to charge for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems.

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

Your bitlocker recovery key is stored in your account online assuming it's not domain joined and you use a Microsoft account.. see the article for other options.
BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions - Windows Help

As far as MS recovering the data... I doubt they would ever do that, more likely refer you to a data recovery service.
However the "sealed" device presents it's unique challenges and yes, backup, backup, backup is the mantra for such devices because locally stored data is subject to a variety of loss scenarios for which there is no simple remedy without a backup.

I have been using File History to backup my files to micro SD. I get the full speed of SSD operation and any files, changes etc. get backed up to my micro SD so it doesn't matter if the network is connected or not. Separate backups protect from device loss or theft.

As for cloud storage... shall you rely on one copy in the cloud? Nope, don't do it. even though most cloud storage is not single instance anyway... deletion gets replicated, then what?

Thanks a lot for this precious information! So you're saying even though my data are encrypted I could unlock them by using my bitlocker key (that I just found on my MS account)? I'm planning on buying a msata to usb device to read and back up the data I need into the eventually new SP3 I'll have to buy from MS store.

Last scenario if this doesn't work call support:

Two-button shutdown

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.
  • If Surface turns on. The battery might be very low and will need to charge for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems.

I actually went through the 3 proposed solutions reaching the "Send my Surface in for service" on that specific support page - ending up calling the tech service - hearing them that there is no option - finding out that people who have tried other ways solved the problem so here I am trying to find alternative solutions to my problem that MS has no idea how to deal with.

Btw English isn't my first language as you may have noticed so please don't pay attention if I'm saying things a little bit rough or clumsy, sorry about that and thank you all for helping me.

Crazy

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

I case you haven't heard about this technique, press the power button briefly 20 times !
I don't really know the exact purpose of this action but that was the test from the tech girl on the phone.
Did not work ...

[EDIT] I'm wondering ... and if the battery is totally empty and my charger is dead (I know that sounds crazy considering everything was working fine and the battery was full). Would it show something on the screen like Android and Apple devices ?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I case you haven't heard about this technique, press the power button briefly 20 times !
I don't really know the exact purpose of this action but that was the test from the tech girl on the phone.
Did not work ...

[EDIT] I'm wondering ... and if the battery is totally empty and my charger is dead (I know that sounds crazy considering everything was working fine and the battery was full). Would it show something on the screen like Android and Apple devices ?
Only if there was still enough power to show the battery icon on the screen....the device should have entered Hibernation if it gets below 4%

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

Ok, so there is no doubt that the problem comes from the system since I'm sure the battery was full and even if not it would have gone to hibernation if getting below 4%.

Since I've got my emails back and part of the information I need, I won't take the SP3 apart and save money instead. I'm just gonna send it back to MS and get a new one. The work will be painful but I think we explored all the possibilities.

Thanks a lot for helping me. I will keep you posted if I see any change before sending it back.

Crazy

fazelal

Hi everyone,

I hope someone could help me here, cuz I'm starting to feel wicked crazy.
Yesterday, I turned off my Surface Pro 3 as I do almost everyday. It has been on Windows 10 for a week or two. It never crashed before and went pretty smooth til today.
This morning while at work, I tried to turn the tablet on but it wouldn't start. I first tried pressing the power for about 10" but nothing.
Back at home, I've checked the Microsoft support page Surface won’t turn on | Windows won’t start | Troubleshoot Surface battery went through the 3 possibilities without any difference and then decided to call the technical service.
After trying multiply boot/boot forcing/power button including or not the volume up button, pressing the power button over a hundred times ... nothing worked again so they told me to send it back for an exchange.

The problem is, as a professional devices all my customers data, field data, accounting, everything is trapped inside. I know, having a backup is the key but to make the story short I actually had one until I tried the new W10 backup system that off course wiped the data off the micro SD before trying to back up the chosen folders. Yes, trying because all I got is a message saying that the system couldn't backup the chosen files... YAY - and I let it go thinking I would do it later the old copy/paste way...

Just before posting here, I tried to boot up with a Ubuntu bootable USB which saved me a couple time on other machines but that again did not work. (Volume Down Button + Power button)

Now, I'm about to try as being told by the MS Tech Service, a Recovery boot and what I'm afraid of is a total reset of my SP3 when all I want is a wake up sign at least.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot for reading

Crazy

I have got exactly the same problem with SP4. can you tell me what did you with your surface? I have still warranty, so microsoft said they can replace it but I need my files and data!!!!

dansmil26

Just had this problem last week and it was charger related. 1. My 1st charger had a frayed cord so I thought ahead and bought a backup. The first charger finally did stop working. 2. Plugged the 2nd charger in, thought it was working when it lit up. It wasn't! Ended up it only works 'upside down', i.e. with the cord pointing up.
Anyways, I had tried everything too, nothing worked. Try another charger!!