What's new

Surface Pro 3 would not power on

cdf3

Anyone have problems with their Surface Pro 3 not coming back on after being in standby mode?

Mine would not come on after being in standby mode today.
I tried holding down the Power button. I then tried Power button and Volume button.
It still would not power back on. I assumed something may have drained the battery.
When I got back home and plugged it to my charging adapter, it booted up.
After booting up, it had 59% battery remaining.
Not sure if it's a software or hardware issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If it does that again, Hold the Power Button down for about 20-30 seconds, wait 10 and then hold the volume rocker up then press the power button....

OP
cdf3

cdf3

If it does that again, Hold the Power Button down for about 20-30 seconds, wait 10 and then hold the volume rocker up then press the power button....

Ok, I'll try that next time.
Do you know what causes it to happen?
It happened last week, but it powered right up after holding down the power button.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Occasionally on Connected Standby Machines it will crash while in S0iX and will need a hard reset (reboot), this also happens occasionally on ARM devices....

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Is it best to Power Down the device when it will not be used for several hours or more?
Will this prevent the device from crashing?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nah..... it doesn't happen often (I've only had it happen once). I like the near instant on too much to give it up....

Have you've done a Sleep Study to see if you can see what got hung?

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Nah..... it doesn't happen often (I've only had it happen once). I like the near instant on too much to give it up....

Have you've done a Sleep Study to see if you can see what got hung?

What's a Sleep Study?
How do I go about checking to see what got hung?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From an elevated Command Prompt (cmd.exe right click run as administrator) run this command:

Powercfg /sleepstudy

It will create a HTML file in C:\Windows\System32\sleepstudy.html copy the file to your desktop and open it in IE

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Opened the Sleep Study file. I have no clue as to how to determine how an app was hung or not.