What's new

Poll Surface Pro 4, a very expensive frustation

Does your surface bugs down more than you expected?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters

TTown

Sorry to hear about your problems. I bought my SP4 at launch and it has been a good little computer. Thinking about getting one for my daughter now. I'm not trying to gloat, but thought others reading should know that not all SP4s are bad.

DCARNEY51

Anybody else having problems with Surface PRO 4 tab screen lock up and losing external mouse since the update of the update of the update of Windows 10 Pro ? I have to do a hard reboot and then go into wifi settings and reinstall mouse. Now happens at least once a day ! Also had the latest update stop working on access of e-mail and had to remove and reinstall my IP settings to access e-mail ? The more they do these so called updates on the second Tuesday of the month the worse it gets as they trade one problem for another unexpected problem where there wasn't one before. My latest issue was trying to believe that using Microsoft for anti virus and malware as I now have a popup audio malware that decides to turn itself on and off at will, Microsoft Techs were worthless as all they do is offer to sell their own version of Kapersky antimalware which they stated might or might not resolve it. Thanks for nothing Microsoft as I reinstalled Malwarebytes and McAfee Antivirus and next step will be using Windows 10 USB Key and completely erasing and reformat of drive. Again this came about because of their update on top of updates which only cause more problems. Considering I'm still not happy with getting a refurbished unit for the Pro 4 that failed first day out of the box would I buy a Surface Book or Pro 5 and the answer is a resounding NO WAY ! Nothing like having to deal with a moronic tech center in India that could care less about resolving any issues ! And I've owned a RT , Surface Pro that melted down and failed just after 1 year so no coverage, Staples gave me a new Pro 3 that I sold to buy the Pro 4 that failed out of the box and now I have a refurbished one to boot !

KeithP

I ask myself, do people at Microsoft use their own products? Or they just use the Surfaces for the conferences and after that they go running back to their MBP?

It really seams like the second one, yeah I understand that from time to time something might bug down and you might even need to restart the system. But having to restart such a device 3 times in a day due bugs that are around since the beginning of the ages is unacceptable.

Even after clean installing Windows 10 AU the system can turn out to be unusable.

Before someone puts the blame in other software, I've almost nothing installed on my surface, and nothing else starts up with Windows other than Defender and OneDrive, I like to keep things pretty clean.

Almost all problems are linked to Windows freaking out after resuming it from sleep / hibernation.

I often leave Edge and Mail open always, because I like to keep my tabs and I use Mail a lot.

Edge doesn't like waking up from hibernation, it will freeze, it will get slow and sometimes it won't even close, forcing me to close the process.

Switch from landscape to vertical while Windows Hello is taking ages to turn the camera on? More often than not the graphics will freak out and 1/3 of the screen will be kept in landscape while the rest will turn. Fix? Restart. Very strange thing, never saw something like this, not even in the cheapest Chinese Android tablet I've seen things like this.

Groove music, that one is funny, how to kill the Surface battery in 1 hour? Well, have some Music at the local OneDrive Music folder, and play it with Groove, for decoding a 320Kbps MP3 Groove would use more than 50% of the power of a dualcore I7 processor, very impressive.

Now sure after months of agony with Groove, they solved the problem by avoiding the CPU to speed up and get hot, but this doesn't mean that Groove is fixed, now when I open Groove, I can't make some steaks on the back of my surface anymore, but I can't work on it either because the whole systems slows down, it seams like I'm exporting something in Premiere, but no, and people complained about iTunes needing resources.

Now as it is, the SP4 is pretty unusable as a mobile computer, that goes to sleep and resumes many times a day while keeping apps open. I understand the decision to hibernate the machine after 2h of inactivity, makes sense for the battery and I'm able to accept the longer wait from time to time, but when resuming from sleep, even with its i7, 8GB of ram and super fast SSD, the SP4 is everything but instant on resuming. Even if I would not use Windows Hello that more often than not bugs down, it will take the device annoying seconds before it responds to my command of dismissing the lock screen.

Anyone with problems and frustrations like mine? You found a solution for any of those problems?

I'm really thinking of giving up

Yes I'm having the same problem, rebooting Edge multiple times daily. Have tried some of the solutions offered but still poor poor performance. I've started using Google and Firefox again.

KeithP

Anybody else having problems with Surface PRO 4 tab screen lock up and losing external mouse since the update of the update of the update of Windows 10 Pro ? I have to do a hard reboot and then go into wifi settings and reinstall mouse. Now happens at least once a day ! Also had the latest update stop working on access of e-mail and had to remove and reinstall my IP settings to access e-mail ? The more they do these so called updates on the second Tuesday of the month the worse it gets as they trade one problem for another unexpected problem where there wasn't one before. My latest issue was trying to believe that using Microsoft for anti virus and malware as I now have a popup audio malware that decides to turn itself on and off at will, Microsoft Techs were worthless as all they do is offer to sell their own version of Kapersky antimalware which they stated might or might not resolve it. Thanks for nothing Microsoft as I reinstalled Malwarebytes and McAfee Antivirus and next step will be using Windows 10 USB Key and completely erasing and reformat of drive. Again this came about because of their update on top of updates which only cause more problems. Considering I'm still not happy with getting a refurbished unit for the Pro 4 that failed first day out of the box would I buy a Surface Book or Pro 5 and the answer is a resounding NO WAY ! Nothing like having to deal with a moronic tech center in India that could care less about resolving any issues ! And I've owned a RT , Surface Pro that melted down and failed just after 1 year so no coverage, Staples gave me a new Pro 3 that I sold to buy the Pro 4 that failed out of the box and now I have a refurbished one to boot !

I have been having similar problems for some time now and am considering asking for a replacement. I have had my Pro 4 for some 4 months now so I'm not sure if I will get any joy from Microsoft

Turbo4AWD

Surface has higher customer satisfaction ratings than iPad or any other tablet maker for that matter. My Surface 3 isn't my go to since I have a laptop and desktop at home that I use as main devices, but for what I use it for, it has proven quite reliable and without issue. Looking to upgrade to a Pro 4 i7 in the near future as a result. I have several friends with Surface Pro 4's and they love them. Zero issues as their main machine...