What's new

Solved Surface Pro 4 corrupt screen & wakeup issues

MetalToby

Hi all,

I am having two issues with my Surface Pro 4.

1. It still fails to wake up and often requires a reset using the power and volume buttons. Updates are all installed and I have also set it to hibernate rather than sleep, but it still fails to wake up quite often. I've googled this a lot and tried various fixes, but nothing has worked.

2. The display is often corrupt, see the attached file. This will correct itself by just refreshing or scrolling over the bad text. Display drivers are up to date as well.

Any suggestions? Very annoying as these seems to be things that should not be happening on such an expensive machine.

Thanks
MetalToby

Attachments

• surfacepro4.jpg
    surfacepro4.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 965

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Office from the File...Options....Advance Menu or update to the latest version of Office 2016 Insiders

coolowl

[1. It still fails to wake up and often requires a reset using the power and volume buttons. Updates are all installed and I have also set it to hibernate rather than sleep, but it still fails to wake up quite often. I've googled this a lot and tried various fixes, but nothing has worked.]

Yep, mine is the same. At least once each day I have to do the power button/volume button restart. sigh... Oh, and it doesn't really matter whether you have the Power options set to hibernate, sleep, or do nothing. The screen still wakes up when it wants to and doesn't wake up when it wants to. I've tried them all with identical results. You'll think you've hit upon the right combo because it'll reawaken several times in a row and you'll think Eureka! And then the next time it won't reawaken and you'll be right back where you started. Oh well.

Dirty Surface

The dism /sfc cleanup approach made things worse for me.
In fact I am convinced this just fixes system files back to the latest windows build, but may depricate system files that are distributed specifically with Surface driver sets. So sfc may report that there are no corrupt files, but the system files that are a dependency for a specific surface driver are at the wrong version, possibly newer or older.
Either way, I had more issues after doing the cleanup. My solution from there was to apply the latest Surface Pro 4 driver pack msi, which I hope has returned me back to some form of stability

OP
M

MetalToby

Here is how things are going at the moment:
Screen still gets corrupt.
Only had one wake up failure this week.

OP
M

MetalToby

I got it from the online Microsoft shop, so I hope the warranty will be ok.

There was an update a couple days ago, things seem much better since. I'll give it another week and contact MS if its still not working properly.