What's new

Surface Pro 4 Could Be Announced in Mid-May [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-surface-pro-3-blue-pen-backg-fade.jpg

There is an intriguing rumor floating around the web: Microsoft may announce the Surface Pro 4 as early as mid-May. While we can't confirm this with any of our sources, it does have some merit, even if just from a pure excitement stand-point. Here are the rumored new specs of the device (according to a leaked prototype):
  • Intel 5th gen Broadwell processor
  • Fanless design, yet stays as cool as the Surface Pro 3
  • Same aesthetics as the Surface Pro 3, except it will be thinner
  • Display resolution will be the same as the Pro 3 (2160×1440 pixels, 216ppi)
  • Same screen size as the Pro 3 (12″)
Other than those tiny tidbits, not much else is known at this time. We will keep you updated if we find out more.

Source: SlashGear

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO they should only announce it 30 days at most ahead of general availability. While to some it wont matter others will be frozen in indecision between the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4. In the long run it should to matter much if at all but in the short run it may throw a wet blanket on sales which would not be the ideal situation leading up the the quarter ending in June which is also the end of Microsoft's fiscal year.

Given the anticipated availability date of Windows 10 and all predictions are that Surface Pro 4 will ship with Windows 10 announcing it in May or June ahead of quarter close would be ill advised.

Kif

I would hope they would wait a bit longer and launch it with Win 10. Everything else sounds about right. Skylake would be nice but it's probably too soon.

MOFO

I say the sooner the better, would love this to be my first surface!
With W10 being a free upgrade I don't think think it has to launch with it to be as important .

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO they should only announce it 30 days at most ahead of general availability. While to some it wont matter others will be frozen in indecision between the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4. In the long run it should to matter much if at all but in the short run it may throw a wet blanket on sales which would not be the ideal situation leading up the the quarter ending in June which is also the end of Microsoft's fiscal year.

Given the anticipated availability date of Windows 10 and all predictions are that Surface Pro 4 will ship with Windows 10 announcing it in May or June ahead of quarter close would be ill advised.

Or indecision between the s3 and sp3 given that the anouncement of the sp4 will send sp3 prices tumbling on ebay etc.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chanting... Skip Broadwell, Skip Broadwell, Skip Broadwell ... Skylake for the win with 10. :)
Intel is releasing Skylake very soon for a reason ... Broadwell is Intel's Vista parallel, Skylake will be the 7 to Broadwell.

Kif

Chanting... Skip Broadwell, Skip Broadwell, Skip Broadwell ... Skylake for the win with 10. :)
Intel is releasing Skylake very soon for a reason ... Broadwell is Intel's Vista parallel, Skylake will be the 7 to Broadwell.

I would like to see that to but Microsoft hasn't been a early adopter of new processor technology in the past. I've don't see myself replacing my SP3 either way so I'll by watching the action from the sideline.

Pedrom

Fanless doesn't overly thrill me. I'd rather have the performance. SP3 isn't exactly a thick device! Let's hope they've managed to increase performance over SP3 - and not just in bursts. I'll be impressed if they pull it off properly.

Kif

Fanless doesn't overly thrill me. I'd rather have the performance. SP3 isn't exactly a thick device! Let's hope they've managed to increase performance over SP3 - and not just in bursts. I'll be impressed if they pull it off properly.

If it's using Broadwell then prepare to be underwhelmed. Broadwell doesn't appear to be burning up the performance benchmarks. The thinking is that Skylake will bring the performance jump. Saying this my i5 SP3 performs very nicely and I'm not to sure a big performance jump is necessary. It's not a gaming laptop err tablet but no integrated GFX solution is going to make that happen.

Arizona Willie

I agree, it would be most sensible to launch the SP4 with W10 installed.

Once they announce it to the world, why would anyone go ahead and buy an outdated SP3?

I would hope they would wait a bit longer and launch it with Win 10. Everything else sounds about right. Skylake would be nice but it's probably too soon.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, it would be most sensible to launch the SP4 with W10 installed.

Once they announce it to the world, why would anyone go ahead and buy an outdated SP3?
Probably for the same reasons some now buy SP2s and RTs are still selling, for a cheaper price.
I used to always wait for last years model to be discounted before buying. Hey, it's new to you. :)

jrioux

Probably for the same reasons some now buy SP2s and RTs are still selling, for a cheaper price.
I used to always wait for last years model to be discounted before buying. Hey, it's new to you. :)
But both sales and prices of new SP3s will drop as soon as they announce the SP4.