What's new

Surface Pro 4 Could Be Announced in Mid-May [Rumor]

TheTruQ

I don't see this happening. Announcing this device this soon after the Surface 3 release would be counter productive from a business standpoint. That would kill the current Surface 3 marketing dead.

They will most likely at least give the Surface 3 a 2 months to a quarter to settle in first.

JuicyJ

I think it makes perfect sense. Last year on May 20 2014 was the announcement date and it started selling the next month. Depending on the end of the quarter it will either have them end one or begin the next strong. SP3 sales will increase granted they will have to drop the price. And maybe they will have two low end models (Broadwell) available at release and delay a high end (Skylake) later in the year like they did with the i7. Just a thought.

TheTruQ

I agree with the timing based on last year's announcement. But with the release of the Surface 3, it would seem they would wait. If the Surface 3 was still an RT device, I could see an early summer release of the SP4. For the current situation though, the announcements would be so close to one another, it would have made more sense to release them both simultaneously - as a product line upgrade..

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm giving this rumor 10 days. Today marks the beginning of the midst of May after the 20th it will be late May. This will officially be dead in 10 days. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I would guess an announcement would come just in time for the US NFL season, August 2015. I can't imagine another season of Surface Pro 3 TV spots.

"I really like your Surface Pro 3".

InspectHerGadget

You can't have a fan less design or make it smaller unless you want to go Core M so I don't agree with these rumours, as I think they want it to enhance performance in the next version.

I do want to see a core M though in their lineup but it would be a separate model.

I like my i7 and would be reluctant to trade performance for size or being fanless.

They do need to put Broadwell in the Pro so I imagine it will happen soon. I don't think it will be much incentive to upgrade from the SP3 but it is important to put the latest chip in it.

alissaknight

I agree with you guys. The fanless stuff (meh, that's cool) but what I really want to see is a higher horsepower (more RAM to run my hypervisor with a Linux virtual machine) would be nice. This 4GB is killing me. I multitask with waaay too many running applications at once to keep dealing with 4GB. Don't get me wrong, I'm passionately in love with my SP3 + dock + dual head display (need to look into how people are doing the 3 monitors) but I would like to see more mmfph in the SP4.

Pedrom

I agree with you guys. The fanless stuff (meh, that's cool) but what I really want to see is a higher horsepower (more RAM to run my hypervisor with a Linux virtual machine) would be nice. This 4GB is killing me. I multitask with waaay too many running applications at once to keep dealing with 4GB. Don't get me wrong, I'm passionately in love with my SP3 + dock + dual head display (need to look into how people are doing the 3 monitors) but I would like to see more mmfph in the SP4.

Why didn't you get the 8GB SP3 then?

InspectHerGadget

I'm the opposite. I have the i7/8G/256G and it is probably overkill for what I do but I can't bring myself to go lower than 8G. It is nice to have.
Mine is running at 4.4GB at the moment but that doesn't mean it wouldn't run just as well with less but I often find it running at that level.

I have Excel, Word, Mail, Outlook, MYOB Accounting, Calendar running.

I guess there you go, I have more happening than I would have thought if you had asked me a few minutes ago.

I was rather disappointed that they offered only 2G RAM in the new Surface 3 base model. I think 2G RAM should be outlawed under the Geneva convention, it is simply cruel.

alissaknight

Ugh, I was told by the Microsoft Store rep that the 4GB was the only option. I took that as Microsoft didn't make an 8GB option but I guess he meant they only had the 4GB in stock. Time to pass this down to another employee and buy the 8GB :D

Hmm better yet, if the SP4 is coming soon, I'll just wait for that.

alissaknight

I'm the opposite. I have the i7/8G/256G and it is probably overkill for what I do but I can't bring myself to go lower than 8G. It is nice to have.
Mine is running at 4.4GB at the moment but that doesn't mean it wouldn't run just as well with less but I often find it running at that level.

I have Excel, Word, Mail, Outlook, MYOB Accounting, Calendar running.

I guess there you go, I have more happening than I would have thought if you had asked me a few minutes ago.

I was rather disappointed that they offered only 2G RAM in the new Surface 3 base model. I think 2G RAM should be outlawed under the Geneva convention, it is simply cruel.

Jesus, they only put 2GB in it? How the hell do you even boot into Windows with 2GB? :) +1 on the Geneva convention.