What's new

Surface Pro 4 does not power up

ahmedgaldeeb

Hello,
Appreciate your help with below issue please.
I own a Surface Pro 4, which has unexpectedly and with no obvious reason, does not power up anymore.
The last thing that happened it was working fine, then everything frozen.
I shut it down, but pressing and holding the power button. Yet, when I tried to power it up again, it does not.
I tried the force reset instructions on Microsoft support link below, and I'm afraid it still does not work.

The only thing special about this device is that I installed windows 11 on it, via Microsoft Insider programme.
But it has been working fine for over a month now.

Any idea how to get this resolved.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with GreyFox7. Wrap in plastic before putting in freezer to control the humidity. Then keep the computer wrapped for 15 minutes after removing from the freezer while the unit warms up.

Don't worry about the Windows Insider issue. Seems your computer may have a battery power logic issue, and the electronics have been shown by multiple users to be solved somehow with this "freezer trick"

Also, see this thread:

OP
A

ahmedgaldeeb

Thank you so much @sharpuser and @GreyFox7 for your responses.
I tried the freezer trick, and I'm afraid it did not work.

The surface does not yet power up or show the surface logo.
The attached keyboard backlight does turn on, but not the tablet itself.

Any other suggestions?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If you can detach the keyboard, do so. Try to charge/power on without the keyboard.

OP
A

ahmedgaldeeb

If you can detach the keyboard, do so. Try to charge/power on without the keyboard.
Thank you @sharpuser for your reply
I did this before without success.
The tablet does not lit up.

I previously left if for a while and could hear the fan kicking off after the device got warm, which indicate the power circle is fine.
If I could get into its BIOS, I might do something.
Otherwise, if you know a trusted repair centre in UK, please let me know.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if the computer is actually working, but the display is off. Can you try to connect an external display, even temporarily? A repair shop would let you do this, likely at no charge.

OP
A

ahmedgaldeeb

I wonder if the computer is actually working, but the display is off. Can you try to connect an external display, even temporarily? A repair shop would let you do this, likely at no charge.
I did that too.
I have an external monitor, which I connected to the tablet via the mini-port, and it did not work.
I'm sure the monitor and the VGA cable work; as I successfully tested it with a different tablet.

Last edited:

rssatl

Hello,
Appreciate your help with below issue please.
I own a Surface Pro 4, which has unexpectedly and with no obvious reason, does not power up anymore.
The last thing that happened it was working fine, then everything frozen.
I shut it down, but pressing and holding the power button. Yet, when I tried to power it up again, it does not.
I tried the force reset instructions on Microsoft support link below, and I'm afraid it still does not work.

The only thing special about this device is that I installed windows 11 on it, via Microsoft Insider programme.
But it has been working fine for over a month now.

Any idea how to get this resolved.

I have the same issue. I believe the battery issue is very common in the Surface Tablet but Microsoft does not seem concerned. Try charging the battery for some time (not totally) and use the force reset again (hold down Volume button and Power at the same time for MORE than 10 seconds) Please post process for force upgrading to Win 11 as my Tablet reports that it does not qualify.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did that too.
I have an external monitor, which I connected to the tablet via the mini-port, and it worked.
I'm sure the monitor and the VGA cable work; as I successfully tested it with a different tablet.
Hmm, can you clarify? I think you meant to say it didn't work with an external monitor ...
But ... I think VGA would depend on having an active adapter... It's been a long time since I tried that :)

OP
A

ahmedgaldeeb

Hmm, can you clarify? I think you meant to say it didn't work with an external monitor ...
But ... I think VGA would depend on having an active adapter... It's been a long time since I tried that :)
Yes, you are correct. I meant to say that even with external monitor, the tablet did not work
Apologies for confusion.
I corrected it in my previous post.

OP
A

ahmedgaldeeb

I have the same issue. I believe the battery issue is very common in the Surface Tablet but Microsoft does not seem concerned. Try charging the battery for some time (not totally) and use the force reset again (hold down Volume button and Power at the same time for MORE than 10 seconds) Please post process for force upgrading to Win 11 as my Tablet reports that it does not qualify.
Thank you @rssatl.
I shall try that and report back how it went.