What's new

Surface Pro 4 - Dual Boot - Win10/Linux

Graham@MTC

Hi All,

as above, i am debating Dual booting my SP4 with Linux, the reason for this is doing Data Recovery and Security Testing, the vast majority of tools for both areas Require Linux to run, but the form factor and Power of the SP4 are ideal, the main reason for Dual Booting is access to the ports and hardware, which is why HyperV isnt an option (mainly due to the USB Passthrough in Hyper-V is pretty much non-existant...) so connecting to any USB Devices etc simply doesn't work without a s*** load of workarounds..

my first question is will this VOID my warranty, im UK Based, so as far as i am aware it's the same law that covers Mobile Phones, you Bought it, it's up to you what you do with it. (regardless to what Crapple think)

secondly, i assume i drop drop the partition size down, disale Secure Boot, as well as UEFI Boot, then Run as normal though the USB Boot Process.

has anyone else done this on a SP4 ?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're going to do it get a proper bootloader that supports secure boot, especially if you're pretending to be a security expert or work in the security field.

You cannot turn off UEFI boot as all Surfaces are Class 3 UEFI devices and according to the requirements of that there's no support for legacy boot period.

Do some homework, Linux solved the booting issue a long time ago. If you're playing with a distro that doesn't support these basic things you're just doing it wrong, no excuses.

OP
G

Graham@MTC

If you're going to do it get a proper bootloader that supports secure boot, especially if you're pretending to be a security expert or work in the security field.

You cannot turn off UEFI boot as all Surfaces are Class 3 UEFI devices and according to the requirements of that there's no support for legacy boot period.

Do some homework, Linux solved the booting issue a long time ago. If you're playing with a distro that doesn't support these basic things you're just doing it wrong, no excuses.

firstly.. i don't pretend to do anything.. and yes, i have read a lot about how others have done it.
I was posting to see if there any "new" methods and changes for the SP4, i did not know that all SP's are Class 3, so thanks for that info, this is my first SP, so i was not aware.

maybe if you gave a little less attitude when someone is asking for information, it would go further..

but thanks anyway, the information you have provided has been helpful.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Or if your tools run under Bash you won't need Linux as Windows 10 AU and later has a fully supported Bash Shell powered by Ubuntu