What's new

Surface Pro 4 Excel Lag

skaldux

Hi guys, is anyone else experiencing lag with scrolling in simple Excel spreadsheets? The lag is horrible for me. Also, when scrolling down/right, i see grey boxes forming alongside extremely jittery animations.
I tried my friend's Surface Pro 3 and it has been extremely smooth thus far. To make things worse, his surface pro 3 is actually a i5/4gb ram model while mine is the Surface Pro 4, i5/256gb/8gb ram function. I have also tried uninstalling and installing 2013, both 32bit and 64bit versions are as laggy and the scrolling is unbearable.

Does anyone else also have lag with Office 2016/2013 applications? Any help would be beneficial here..

dcoplien

Hi guys, is anyone else experiencing lag with scrolling in simple Excel spreadsheets? The lag is horrible for me. Also, when scrolling down/right, i see grey boxes forming alongside extremely jittery animations.
I tried my friend's Surface Pro 3 and it has been extremely smooth thus far. To make things worse, his surface pro 3 is actually a i5/4gb ram model while mine is the Surface Pro 4, i5/256gb/8gb ram function. I have also tried uninstalling and installing 2013, both 32bit and 64bit versions are as laggy and the scrolling is unbearable.

Does anyone else also have lag with Office 2016/2013 applications? Any help would be beneficial here..
I use Excel daily and have no problem.

OP
S

skaldux

right. Scrolling is extremely jittery even for a small 25KB excel file. Are there any settings i should be aware of to help speed up Excel 2016? I've done the disable graphics acceleration/feedback animation stuff, but in return it just makes my Word 2016 slow down more - without making the Excel 2016 that much better. Could there be a problem with my processor? The strange thing is, i've traded my laptop in with MSFT exchange center several times now and this is a new set from them....

dcoplien

right. Scrolling is extremely jittery even for a small 25KB excel file. Are there any settings i should be aware of to help speed up Excel 2016? I've done the disable graphics acceleration/feedback animation stuff, but in return it just makes my Word 2016 slow down more - without making the Excel 2016 that much better. Could there be a problem with my processor? The strange thing is, i've traded my laptop in with MSFT exchange center several times now and this is a new set from them....
I didn't change any settings. One of my daily sheets is 4 pages with an average 0f 15 col. and 200 rows, 10 of which are called in from yahoo finance.

Open a new spreadsheet and then click File, Account, Office Updates; when I've had problems, that seemed to fix them. Doesn't always work with an existing spreadsheet so I just open a new blank one.

OP
S

skaldux

Hmm it says my Office is up to date. And it should be since i did a hard reset on my surface earlier today and reinstalled Office365 to try to fix the issue. Haven't downloaded any heavy applications or files since but the stuttering-scrolling still occurs in the most basic of spreadsheets. Thanks for the suggestion though.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too use Excel daily with massive spreadsheets etc and have no problems, no lag etc. I am however running MS Office 2016. One thing I find helpful is adding additional desktops which you may want to try using the WinKey, Ctl and "D", use of course WinKey + TAB to scroll through them. I more than understand that having multiple desktops is not for everyone. Also for thought - try running the TRIM clean up to optimize your hard drive. Might also want to check your processes, and maybe compare them to your friends SP3 - check to see if anything is eating up your RAM / Processor / Hard drive. Just a few thoughts, I apologize if you have already done this.

One last thing - Something I find useful is removing / re-installing the Surface Pro Drivers from time to time. I have also found that this will sometimes take care of many issues from the camera to the Pen.

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

One LAST Thing is checking the version of your EXCEL File - was it perhaps created on a previous version of Office etc. I understand you don't have these issues when on your friends PC - so its more than likely not an Office issue - but it might be worth taking a look at.