What's new

Surface Pro 4, Galaxy Tab Pro S, or iPad Pro

irogos

Here is my situation. I want to get a device that I can use on the go that is portable, allows me to work with the screen with removable keyboard and allows me to do presentations with remote transmitting video.

I know that since release the Surface Pro 4 has had issues with battery life, but charges fast (i.e. 2.5 hours). Alternatively the iPad Pro has good battery life but charges horribly slow (i.e. 5+ hours).

I personally feel like the Windows 10 is very touch friendly and having the option in settings to increase the size of all the buttons on the screen makes it even more touch friendly. Alternatively people always argue that iPad Pro is "more touch friendly" but I don't really agree with that.

I am leaning more towards getting a Surface Pro 4, but I am also considering waiting until the Galaxy Tab Pro S comes out (possibly sometime between this weekend and the next couple weeks).

Do you think the issues with the battery will get fixed sooner rather than later? I personally think Apple will not release a better charging solution for the iPad Pro because Apple never admits their mistakes. So that is why I am leaning towards a Surface.

Additionally, those of you that have a Surface Pro 4, would you say it was worth getting it even with issues. If you have owned a Galaxy Tab S or S2 with Amoled Screen, would you recommend waiting to get the Galaxy Tab Pro S with Amoled Screen?

Would anyone here recommend the iPad Pro, or is the consensus that it really isn't a productivity device?

Also, is the Surface Pro 4 a good tool for designing PDF's like making good looking posters and fliers?

dcoplien

I'm not a big fan of M vs i5 or i7 but I am a big fan of Samsung. My last windows tablet was a Samsung ATIV i5. Much preferred it to my SP4 but wanted more RAM and disk space. Samsung also has their new Spin which I liked other than it has a 360' display with an attached keyboard. That was the one and only reason I went with the SP4. Should note that the Spin suffers the same battery drain as the SP4.

dcoplien

How do you do that?
If he's talking about menu icons (tablet mode or via start), right click over the icon and select resize. There is also "custom scaling" available from the old style control panel but that per MS is not recommended.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you need to be doing specifically? Define work. It could be that just a surface 3 is all you need.

EMINENT

Samsung does make some nice hardware. The Tab S Pro is also one of them. Downsides are only Core M, max 4gb ram, not full usb, no Windows Hello, no kickstand.

OP
I

irogos

What do you need to be doing specifically? Define work. It could be that just a surface 3 is all you need.

I forgot to mention, I actually own the Surface 3 already and there are a few things that I do not like about it that I hope to get remedied by moving up to either a Surface Pro 4 or Galaxy Tab Pro S.

1. The Surface 3 charges VERY Slowly. If I forget to charge it, I am usually not going to get much use out of it.
2. Battery life. I typically only get about 4 hours of battery life out of the Surface 3. While I understand that the Surface Pro 4 also has bad battery life, at least it charges a lot faster.
3. Performance. The Surface 3 is snappy on using the internet and a few other things, but anything that requires transferring data or anything strenuous bogs down the Surface 3.

Jay Marino

Save the money and get a Surface Pro 3. With configured settings, my battery is much much better now. The performance is outstanding. The i7 with 8GB Ram sounds like it would be enough to tackle anything you are trying to do.

DavidZ

If he's talking about menu icons (tablet mode or via start), right click over the icon and select resize. There is also "custom scaling" available from the old style control panel but that per MS is not recommended.
Yes, I Googled "Windows 10 resize buttons," and searched around the settings on my SP4, but didn't see anything like what the OP said.

When using the SP4 in tablet mode with touch, I often find that I have to tap multiple times in order to activate a link. Sometimes, after 5 or more tries, I just give up and use the pen. If there's a way to increase the size of the target area, I'd definitely like to know what it is.

OP
I

irogos

Yes, I Googled "Windows 10 resize buttons," and searched around the settings on my SP4, but didn't see anything like what the OP said.

When using the SP4 in tablet mode with touch, I often find that I have to tap multiple times in order to activate a link. Sometimes, after 5 or more tries, I just give up and use the pen. If there's a way to increase the size of the target area, I'd definitely like to know what it is.

I may make a video then showing how to do it. Once I changed the size of the buttons, it made it so much easier to tap all the buttons in both normal mode and tablet mode.

dcoplien

For desktop icons (buttons) right click on your desktop on any blank space. Select "view" and then select a size.

Maybe we are confused as to what you are referring to as "buttons"

DavidZ

For desktop icons (buttons) right click on your desktop on any blank space. Select "view" and then select a size.

Maybe we are confused as to what you are referring to as "buttons"

The original post in this thread states "I personally feel like the Windows 10 is very touch friendly and having the option in settings to increase the size of all the buttons on the screen makes it even more touch friendly."

If there's something that makes the SP4 "more touch friendly," I want to know what it is. Only the original poster can tell us what they meant by this.

I cannot find an setting that "increase(s) the size of all the buttons on the screen."