What's new

Surface Pro 4 I5 4gb Throttle Results

XCESSIVEFORCE

Ok so everyone who is interested, I did some serious testing the last 48 hours on the Sp4 i5. Quick history, I was one of the innovators who were able to get bfbc2 running on the old school alienware m11x on (notebook on notebook review forums and techinferno). Anyway for the actual figures...

Using the csEnable documented registry and playing 2 different games which use both graphics and cpu. Marvel Heroes 2016 and Battlefield 4 .

The I5 throttles down to 12x multiplier max. With the GPU set at max performance. FPS in BF4 26-40fps.
The I5 throttles down to 13x multiplier max. With the GPU set at balanced. FPS in BF4 26-37 fps.
The I5 throttles down to 22-24 multiplier With the GPU set at max battery. FPS in BF4 22-25 fps.

Room temp was 71f and the sp4 maxed at 62c.

Marvel Heroes is all over the place and its difficult to be conclusive.

The bottom line, The I5 always throttles under gaming circumstances. Don't expect over 13x multiplier when max graphics are selected.

Verdict - For gaming more than 5 minutes get ready for some serious drops in performance.

(Fine print- you may be able to use external fan in the upper right hand area to cool the thermal sensors on case to achieve higher performance).

The Tablet... is still a tablet...

StevenX

Last edited:

Philtastic

Do you happen to have a temperature graph for the entire session? Oh and also a graph of the multipliers over time, ie. whether it's a huge drop early on or whether it takes a long time for it to drop down to those final multipliers that you state.

leeshor

I never saw aything where Microsoft suggested that the SP4 was intended for gaming and it's not what I would suggest for anyone with gaming intent yet so many people want to say it's deficient in some way because it doesn't work as fast as a gaming system should/would. Just sayin.

OP
X

XCESSIVEFORCE

Also would like to add. I did not use any voltage adjustments or additional fans. The purpose for my post was to address posts and videos I've seen where others claim you can game. I also believe you can. the platform has potential. If you are traveling or commuting it might be right for you even for gaming in low settings. I would be curious to see how the m3 throttles without the fan. Thanks!

Note: these tests were performed after complete reset/reload from Usb and completely patched with updated Intel and Samsung drivers.

Last edited:

masterpace

I never saw aything where Microsoft suggested that the SP4 was intended for gaming and it's not what I would suggest for anyone with gaming intent yet so many people want to say it's deficient in some way because it doesn't work as fast as a gaming system should/would. Just sayin.

For gaming purposes only, there are some better alternate options around. A Razer Blade 14 fits into that category and the weight difference and size difference are marginal. However, I need pen input support. A tablet is also much more user friendly when travelling on a flight.

masterpace

Then there's Alienware!
Right. Except that it's made like a tank and is quite hefty too. I used to own one. Great machine except that it will take your whole carry on bag, leaving nothing for personal belongings. A Razer Blade is much fitter. Yet, an i7 SP4 with a USB fan and type cover is even sleeker.

OP
X

XCESSIVEFORCE

Hey Guys.. I have an alienware 17 i7 with the 860 GTX m. I get tired of 12 pounds of notebook in my lap on the couch or when I travel. My knees are getting old so the prospect of a quality tablet with light gaming potential has my attention. I've casually looked other stuff but the surface pro seems to be highest quality. My purpose of the post is to just let others know you will get some throttling on the system but gaming is still very possible. Thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All you have to do is solve the Physics problem of thermodynamics or rewrite the laws.

I think a wireless heat transfer system would work nicely or perhaps it could be done with a photon beam. :D

Maybe a micro black hole like device that absorbs unlimited amounts of heat for 4-6 hours before it has to go through a heat ejection cycle. ;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Define gaming. I took my SP3 to a lan party over the summer and it performed just great for all games we played :)

The tablet... is still a tablet... which can also work just great as an ultra-portable gaming laptop :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Define gaming... :)

Gaming a self-absorbed time wasting activity which may place undue processing demands on a system purely for the purpose of using as many resources as possible in an attempt to impress its users or otherwise maximize eye candy effects. ;)

OP
X

XCESSIVEFORCE

I just exchanged my system for the 8gb and its a major difference.

To quantify -
Greater performance in tools such as Sony Movie Maker 13, adobe, and MS office suite.
Slightly higher fps in games (difficult to quantify) but definitely smoother performance in all games so far.

I also added the Artic flex usb fan and mini usb expansion and it rocks! I can now stay at max turbo with GPU set at max while gaming.

Bf4 completely playable at low settings and > 37fps on full 64 player MP maps in even the most intense situations with smoke, particles, etc..

Fifa 2016 - playable at 60fps in low settings. Impressive!

Marvel Heroes 2016 - Low settings, actually playable now at over 30fps even in midtown and one shots.

I'm just so impressed by this tablet.