What's new

Surface Pro 4 i7 Keeps Freezing

airslap

Hi,

I've been having a really frustrating issue where every 30min or so my Surface totally freezes and the mouse and keyboard don't respond. The only way to get it to work is to press the standby button and then switch it back on. It then works as normal again for a while then will freeze. Happens just during web browsing . Interestingly enough doesn't happen when i'm connected to the dock to an external monitor and the external monitor is the only screen on. Have never had a freezing issue in that situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

alexd88

I have same problem on i5 8gb, is freezing while i am on battery, sometime i solve the problem pushing windows buttom. This is happening after video drivers has been updated and i can t find the old drivers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Micro SD in there but it's blank. I can try taking it out and seeing if that changes anything. Is that a common issue?
We've seen it, especially if it is being indexed and is a slow card or a card with some corruption...

OP
A

airslap

We've seen it, especially if it is being indexed and is a slow card or a card with some corruption...

I think it's happening less with the micro sd card out, still once or twice a day i'll get a total freeze though. Tried recovering and that made no difference. I feel it might be related to the graphics driver because I still don't get any issues when plugged into an external monitor and sound will continue to play if there is a freeze.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's happening less with the micro sd card out, still once or twice a day i'll get a total freeze though. Tried recovering and that made no difference. I feel it might be related to the graphics driver because I still don't get any issues when plugged into an external monitor and sound will continue to play if there is a freeze.
What are you running for Security/Antivirus?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If it is updated fully and still doing this, it may be time to do a reset of the device....

sean99

Having the same problem. I usually power off, or switch user (which results in the log on screen opening). Additional problem for me is, that, thinking I had a virus or malware, I tried to down load Avast free. Download succeeded - but install.exe sticks - error message ''insall forbidden or corrupted''. any ideas?
and yes, concurrently, I do down load on to my micro 128GB card. TIA !!

OP
A

airslap

is releated with video driver ( freezing is appears when you are on battery? or both cases)

Yeh I did a reset and then ran all the updates same problem. I'm running on battery most of the time except when i'm docked to the external monitor and I get zero issues when i'm plugged in and using the external display. If i'm using the latest graphics driver from Windows update is there another fix?