What's new

Surface Pro 4 Issue - FIXED

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perfect if you have a separate copy of Windows 10. Taking mine back today to be replaced.

Agreed - not everyone has a copy of Windows 10 - however, there are quite a few places to download copies. Either way - good luck with your replacement.

nachonadal85

Open the x86 or the 64 file and navigate to the "windows.old" folder. Highlight the folder and then click on ADVANCED - make sure both check boxes in the lower left have check marks in them. Then click on CHANGE OWNER (make sure you mark yourself as the owner of course) - then click APPLY

A box will open and you Click on the upper box "Replace all child object permissions......."

Then comes the wait time I mentioned.....it will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes for you to take complete control of the folder. Once completed - Use the normal file explorer to navigate to the "windows.old" folder and delete the entire thing. Keep in mind - chances are if Windows is using the driver store in this file, you cannot completely delete it. However, based on how you did your install - you may be able to delete the entire thing. If not, you can delete the bulk of it and only 20-30 mbs should be left in the folder.

Hope this helps. If you need further help let me know - I'll do my best
I was doing the same but as there was still a few information on the folder .old I though I was doing it wrong. So there has to be a folder windows.old anyway?

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was doing the same but as there was still a few information on the folder .old I though I was doing it wrong. So there has to be a folder windows.old anyway?

Yes - unfortunately, dependant on how the install was done - you may wind up with a permanent "windows.old" folder - I am going to work on migrating the driver store from the windows.old folder to the current windows system 32 folder - once Ive done this I will post how to do it.

dman27

Agreed - not everyone has a copy of Windows 10 - however, there are quite a few places to download copies. Either way - good luck with your replacement.

I replaced my I7 with another and it works perfectly So for.

I'm really convinced that there were bad batches the first few Weeks. Everyone who returned them recently has had much better Luck.
Stop troubleshooting and replace it with the newer batches and start Working.