What's new

Surface Pro 4 Lot Numbers

dstrauss

I'm curious how many updates had to be applied to the 1552 Lot number machines? Did you have Firmware updates? Was W10 1511 installed?

Not many updates come to think of it, but 1511 was among the
I'm curious how many updates had to be applied to the 1552 Lot number machines? Did you have Firmware updates? Was W10 1511 installed?
It went fairly quickly and can't recall the exact updates (believe 1511 was among them) - whatever happened to teh log you could see of updates that have been applied to your system?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not many updates come to think of it, but 1511 was among the

It went fairly quickly and can't recall the exact updates (believe 1511 was among them) - whatever happened to teh log you could see of updates that have been applied to your system?
1511 was like a fresh install, everything got reset.

SirGadden

Waiting for my fourth unit...

#1 lot 1552, i7/16GB/256GB - Completly froze a few minutes after boot (even when trying to reset).
#2 lot 1552, i7/8GB/256GB - Loose kickstand and one dead pixel.
#3 lot 1551, i7/8GB/256GB - 3 dead pixels...
#4 Still waiting for this unit.

All 3 had quite bad backlight bleeding :(

Edit: Updated

Last edited:

dream3

Lot 1548, i5/256/8gb - Back of kickstand had two 3mm scratches on the paint. No scuff marks but rather deep scratches.
No dead pixels at all. Solid kickstand. Backlight bleeding on the usual off-centered to the right, bottom edge.
System was freezing and nothing would open up on first boot. Had to hard refresh to get it to work.

I did realize that messing with pressure points on the bottom edge affects the bleeding significantly. I will try to clamp the screen down for 48 hours and see if the glue in the adhesive sticks to it permanently. The center of the bottom edge is very flexible and can be lifted with ease because theres less adhesive there and the adhesive in general is less sticky. So people should check whether that part of the screen is in fact flush with the rest.

Couple quotes from ifixit:

The display removal procedure, while difficult, and required for any repair, is not as hard as in previous generations, due to less stubborn adhesive.
Adhesive
holds many components in place, including the display and battery.

Last edited:

SurfaceProX

Lot 1602, i5/256/8gb - No Problem so far, and almost no bleeding on the bottom edge (at least I can't tell so far), I went through LOT 1546, 1549, 1551, 1552 and 1602, so far the 1602 is almost perfect, beside the random cracking or popping noise from the speaker which i think it's a software issue fix.

XCESSIVEFORCE

My lot numbers on the surface pro I5, 4gb is 1540. It has some issues with Lightbleed but i'm not going to fight it. If I decide to keep it I will just suffer through the bleed.

aprades

Lot 1602, i5/256/8gb - No Problem so far, and almost no bleeding on the bottom edge (at least I can't tell so far), I went through LOT 1546, 1549, 1551, 1552 and 1602, so far the 1602 is almost perfect, beside the random cracking or popping noise from the speaker which i think it's a software issue fix.

Happy to hear this, I've just received mine, lot 1604, i5/256/8gb, but I can't open it for two weeks as it's a gift...

dld44

Lot 1428! Perhaps a different angle on this lot number business?

I bought my new SP3 from Amazon in August of 2015. It arrived with a label on the lower left side corner that has a bar code and the text "Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (128GB, Intel Core I5) New". This label covers the original Microsoft product label with the lot number and serial number, and is impossible to peel off while leaving the original label intact. The power cord replacement issue raised my concern about build date, as it applies specifically to machines "purchased prior to March 15, 2015" (see here ), but my power cord, without the additional reinforcement at the brick end, matched the one being replaced. So I carefully peeled back the Amazon label and found the lot date of 1428.

This manufacture date of the 28th week of 2014 is somewhat suspicious to me, as Amazon has a reputation for moving product through its distribution sites quickly and this date is over a year earlier than when I bought it, plus leeshor's date of 1641 on page 2 of this thread (impossible in his case if it is year/week #), plus many entries in this thread stating weeks that are right about the date of the thread entries. But the power cord problem somewhat backs up this date, and yes, I did apply to MS for a replacement and it is being shipped, no further questions asked. If it is a mid-2014 machine, I am a bit concerned, as complex hardware products typically get incremental updates (chip hardware levels, component changes, etc.) and normally I would hope for the latest manufacture date, hence the latest (and hopefully) greatest hardware levels. (But then maybe I am better off with an older tablet, as I am not experiencing a lot of the problems noted here!)

So, is the Lot Date really the manufacture date? Or is it a "revision level" date? Or what? Does someone have a definitive statement as to what the lot number means?