What's new

Surface Pro 4 news

GoodBytes

Microsoft is doing an offer for Surface Pro 2 users. If you upgrade to a Pro 3 (you need to ship back your Pro 2), depending on the model of the Pro 2 you have and the Pro 3 you get, you can get up to 650$ off the Pro 3. The Promo ends March 8, and is in the U.S only. This is signs that Surface Pro 4 is underway.

I expect a June release, and here is why:
-> BUILD event is end April. Probably participant will get like last year a large coupons for a Surface pro 3 (Pro 2 back then), which will expire soon after.
-> The Pro 2 had similar offering as above (bring your Pro 1, get Pro 2 at a discount, and the above point).
-> Windows 10 release date is expected to be in April/May

It would make sense that it comes out a year after the Pro 3, especially the back to school period helped the Pro 3 sale, a lot more than the holiday season with the Pro 1 and Pro 2.

Here is what I expect:
-> Improve screen (same resolution, reduce back light bleeding, improved colors)
-> Intel U series CPU, with Intel HD 6000 series graphics (not that it really maters as Intel GPUs aren't fully DirectX and OpenGL ready in the first place, but it's something. I wish it had Nvidia GPU, like teh GPU of the Tegra X1 chip, stand alone. Would need no additional cooling and deliver similar or better performance, but you get FAR better drivers, full and proper OpenGL, DirectX support, but also proper and full: OpenCL, and DirectCompute (and of course Nvidia's very own CUDA))
-> Auto focus on the back or front camera, not both.
-> Improved camera
-> Same single USB 3.0. USB 3.1 is possible depending on when the engineering of the system board of the device was done. Probably still be 3.0. If it has USB 3.1, then USB Type C would be added as a second USB port. If the new Intel CPU can reduce the system board content, it could allow a second USB port. I think Microsoft like to have a splash with the Surface line, so they wont' just do a specs upgrade, they'll push for that second USB port.
-> Improved cooling
-> Improved pen a bit
-> Improved kickstand (fix most or all flaws of the Pro 3)
-> Larger new keyboard. Already the keys are near size of a full keyboard (very close if you compare side by side), The Surface Pro 1, 2 device size didn't allow a larger one, but the Pro 3 has plenty of space to make that possible. It has large borders and the keyboard is identical to the Pro 1 and 2. So they can make the keys larger.

That is all.

Kif

Just a thought but if skylake is really coming in late summer why release a broadwell model?

TPadden

Microsoft is doing an offer for Surface Pro 2 users. If you upgrade to a Pro 3 (you need to ship back your Pro 2), depending on the model of the Pro 2 you have and the Pro 3 you get, you can get up to 650$ off the Pro 3. The Promo ends March 8, and is in the U.S only.

That is all.
Not quite, went to the site and the best I could get for the best Surface Pro 2 was more like the $350 range. To get the "up to $650" you have to trade your old Surface Pro 3 on a new Surface Pro 3.

http://microsoftsurfacetrade.cexchange.com/online/home/index.rails