What's new

Surface pro 4-Noise

maartenvda

Hi,

I just have got my surface pro 4.
It is a really fantastic device, I have no display crashes, freezes and battery life is quite good.

However, I have one thing that 'concerns' me. During the Treshold 2 update, my fans were quite loud. After that, I haven't heard my fans kicking on(since I am doing light work for the moment).

But when I am in a silent room, I just hear a little, small, quiet noise from the proccesor I think(I don't hear it when I am typing for example, so it isn't loud). I just wondered whether this is normal, because my surface 2 RT was quiet as hell.

Thanks in advance!

leebo

I had the same jet engine like fan behaviour during the TH2 update, but have had minimal fan noise since. The Surface 2 RT has no fan and your Surface Pro 4 does, so I think your observations are quite normal for both devices! :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above, I had the same noise during update (and while the fan on the sp4 rarely blows, it was interesting to hear that it is noticeably "louder" (possibly more to do with frequency than decibels) than my sp3)

OP
M

maartenvda

Okay, so when i go closer with my ear to the top-edge of my surface pro 4 i5, it is normal to hear a high but quiet sound?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have just stuck my ear an inch away from the top right corner, and i also hear a very very faint high frequency buzz/static sound. I recall hearing various things like this with my SP3. It really isn't something that i'm going to concern myself over.

nirurin

Haha this buzz/click thing has come up soooo many times on reddit in the last few days... and there's even another thread on this forum from today. It's normal, all SP4's have it, though I'd love to know what is CAUSING it! Doesn't seem to be anything to worry about though, at least not yet.

saidgta

My previous sp3 has this noise and i think this is normal. My new sp4 too...
I had 2 sp3 and 2 sp4, and hear this cccsssvvvwwzzz sound from those.

OP
M

maartenvda

When the surface is in sleep mode, I can still however hear this with my ear one inch away from it. Guess it's normal?

xayviron

Hey guys, I think I might have just solved the issue. I had the same issue and it was a fkin pain in the ass. I was trying to open my store app but it wasn't opening. I restarted my pro and tried again. When it opened, I noticed that something was being installed. That something was a shit load of surface pro apps like weather, news, OneNote, etc...The store app was super laggy and unresponsive sometimes because too much shit was being installed at once. I just left it open to load and allow it to sort of catch up and not lag. It took awhile but after it finished installing everything and updating, the fan noise went away. its been a few days now and my surface is still not making any noise. i dont even hear it when charging while asleep anymore. the only time the fan comes on now is when im playing games like league, which should be the only time it comes on. hope this helps everyone, if so, please spread it!