What's new

Surface Pro 4 not working with USB monitors (AOC)

Kristian_AUS

Hi, I just recently purchased a few AOC E1659FWU portable USB monitors to use with my Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD - Windows 10 is up to date). The AOC monitor turns off for >1s then on again continuously.

I've installed the latest DisplayLink drivers. I've tried connecting it to the onboard USB port, I've connected it to my Surface Dock (latest firmware), an unpowered USB 3.0 hub, a powered USB 3.0 hub. I have a few AOC monitors, it happens with them all. I've hooked up the monitors to my desktop (Windows 7) and they work without issue.

Has anyone successfully used AOC USB monitors with their Surface Pro 4? Or perhaps the ASUS MB169B+ (which I'll likely try next)?

Any advice would be appreciated!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and I've tried connecting the monitor both with and without the Y-connector in all configurations.
I've used them in the past, I needed to use a Y Connector and plug the power side into a Wall Wart (cell phone type charger) or a Battery Charger

OP
K

Kristian_AUS

Thanks for the info Jeff. I just tried using a charger as you suggested but ran into the same problem.

On another note, if I don't put anything on the AOC monitor it stays on. As soon as I drag a window into it the problems start.

I ordered an ASUS MB 169B+ portable monitor, should arrive tomorrow. Maybe it'll work.

OP
K

Kristian_AUS

For anyone that's curious, I couldn't get the AOC monitor to work. However, I just got the ASUS MB169B+ the verdict is:

- it worked immediately when connected to the onboard USB port, without installing their EZ Link software.
- the autorotate function doesn't seem to work
- the monitor doesn't work when connecting through the Surface Dock, I just get repeated chiming of a USB device being connected and disconnected.
- if I connect it to a powered USB hub (inland 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, SKU451443) it works
- if I connect it to an unpowered USB hub (inland 4-Port Hub USB 3.0, SKU902064) it works

The only thing left to see now is if I can get 2 external USB monitors to work.

I did speak to Microsoft support about this issue as well (before trying the ASUS). They repeatedly reminded me that I should be using the DisplayPort and that monitors aren't meant to be connected via USB. When pushed, both the initial technician and his manager said that the Surface Pro didn't support monitor connectivity via USB.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For anyone that's curious, I couldn't get the AOC monitor to work. However, I just got the ASUS MB169B+ the verdict is:

- it worked immediately when connected to the onboard USB port, without installing their EZ Link software.
- the autorotate function doesn't seem to work
- the monitor doesn't work when connecting through the Surface Dock, I just get repeated chiming of a USB device being connected and disconnected.
- if I connect it to a powered USB hub (inland 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, SKU451443) it works
- if I connect it to an unpowered USB hub (inland 4-Port Hub USB 3.0, SKU902064) it works

The only thing left to see now is if I can get 2 external USB monitors to work.

I did speak to Microsoft support about this issue as well (before trying the ASUS). They repeatedly reminded me that I should be using the DisplayPort and that monitors aren't meant to be connected via USB. When pushed, both the initial technician and his manager said that the Surface Pro didn't support monitor connectivity via USB.

I imagine that the Asus monitor uses diplaylink? MS may be correct in that a monitor simply conencted via usb won't work, but if it is using displaylink technology, then they most certainly work, hence the number of people using a displaylink dock due to the value compared to the MS dock.

Regarding autorotate, so far as I'm aware (from my own use) when a second monitor is in use then the surface does not allow for a change in orientation, it is landscape or landscape.

Regarding plugging it in to the dock, I get exactly the same behaviour when I plug my digital camera into the dock to transfer photo's. It has to be plugged straight into the surface to work.

OP
K

Kristian_AUS

Both the ASUS and AOC monitors used Displaylink, I had the most up to date drivers installed - not sure why one worked and the other didn't. MS admitted that Windows 10 will support a number of monitors via USB in general, but not on the Surface Pro 4. Not too enthused about their level of knowledge.

I ran the ASUS this morning for 1.5hrs on the Surface Pro 4 (hooked up to the onboard USB 3.0 port) using nothing but the internal battery for power and had no issues.

I'm going to return my Surface Dock. With the lack of functionality I've experienced and what you've mentioned I see no reason to keep it. The Displaylink docks look nice, I was eyeing one from Plugable with Ethernet and 3x USB 3.0 ports for only $23. All the Surface Dock gives me on top of that is an extra USB port or two with questionable functionality and an extra displayport (to my knowledge the onboard displayport is disabled when using the dock).

Sorry, I didn't explain the autorotate issue well. It was regarding the ASUS monitors which are meant to have an autorotate function. The utility is installed but it doesn't seem to work. Apparently there have been issues in the past. However, I can rotate the image in the control panel if need be.

OP
K

Kristian_AUS

This'll probably be my last post on this topic. The Surface Pro 4 works with 2 ASUS USB monitors. I was only able to get both to work with a powered hub, my unpowered hub (inland 4-Port Hub USB 3.0, SKU902064) didn't work.