What's new

Surface Pro 4, performance and Firefox

Name XXX

Recently I've bought Surface Pro 4 256 Gb 8 Gb, i5. All was fine, except one thing: there are small freezes when I use Firefox (version 42). They arise if I open few tabs and grow quickly with each new tab. Other browsers (Edge, and a little bit worse Chrome) have no problem. And if I open many tabs, video driver (it writes that it is Intel video driver for Windows 8(R); why not for Windows 10?) is crashed.
Is this problem typical for my configuration?
P.S. The last Windows update is set on my Surface Pro.

Also I want to know does Surface pro have problem with performance in general. Yes, its hardware is good, but the screen resolution is so large, so integrated GPU may not provide sufficient performance. For example, when I've run PCMark 8 Work Conventional test, it has shown that FPS for DirectX 9 test is in range 26-30 fps, which seems to be low. The general score is 2250.

Last edited:
OP
N

Name XXX

This driver crash is common problem...all of surface pro 4's has this problem...
And do you have the problem with Firefox web-surfing performance?
P.S. Also I have problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The scrolling isn't smooth.

whiteguy90

I have Firefox scrolling problem too on my Surface Pro 3 and 4 (i5/8RAM/256GB); I always feel it lags - unlike Edge (I like it a lot) or Chrome (my 2nd favorite) which run smoothly. What you can try is to install the add-on "Yet Another Smooth Scrolling." Once you install it you can feel the big difference. The only problem I have is the zooming on FF sucks, that's why I seldomly use FF on my SP 3 and 4. I know many people prefer FF or Chrome over Edge because they can block ads, but I use a Hosts file on my SP 3 and 4 so I have never experienced ads problems on the Edge browser. Again, to each our own.

saidgta

And do you have the problem with Firefox web-surfing performance?
P.S. Also I have problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The scrolling isn't smooth.
Factory reset your surface may solve this problem...
Just be sure you installed all of updates before.

OP
N

Name XXX

I have Firefox scrolling problem too on my Surface Pro 3 and 4 (i5/8RAM/256GB); I always feel it lags - unlike Edge (I like it a lot) or Chrome (my 2nd favorite) which run smoothly. What you can try is to install the add-on "Yet Another Smooth Scrolling." Once you install it you can feel the big difference. The only problem I have is the zooming on FF sucks, that's why I seldomly use FF on my SP 3 and 4. I know many people prefer FF or Chrome over Edge because they can block ads, but I use a Hosts file on my SP 3 and 4 so I have never experienced ads problems on the Edge browser. Again, to each our own.
So should problem be in optimization, not in Pros performance, what do you think?

mikedyce

Recently I've bought Surface Pro 4 256 Gb 8 Gb, i5. All was fine, except one thing: there are small freezes when I use Firefox (version 42). They arise if I open few tabs and grow quickly with each new tab. Other browsers (Edge, and a little bit worse Chrome) have no problem. And if I open many tabs, video driver (it writes that it is Intel video driver for Windows 8(R); why not for Windows 10?) is crashed.
Is this problem typical for my configuration?
P.S. The last Windows update is set on my Surface Pro.

Also I want to know does Surface pro have problem with performance in general. Yes, its hardware is good, but the screen resolution is so large, so integrated GPU may not provide sufficient performance. For example, when I've run PCMark 8 Work Conventional test, it has shown that FPS for DirectX 9 test is in range 26-30 fps, which seems to be low. The general score is 2250.
I've always used Firefox - no change with the Surface Pro 4, I5, 8Gb, 256Gb

Sites which are advert heavy, like WindowsCentral, can cause problems. But not since using the addon Adblock Plus.

Mike.

I use Chrome/Ghostery/ABP. No issues on SP4. I'd like to use Edge more, but I've been using Chrome for so long now - it's hard to transition.

OP
N

Name XXX

I haven't found an explicit reason of Firefox bad performance, so I've decided to make factory reset of my Surface. This works: now I don't have problem with its performance.

GoodBytes

If it makes you feel better, my Surface Pro 2 has the same problem since Windows 10. The problem is Intel craptastic graphics drivers, as always. I want to say it will be fixed shortly, but it is Intel, so probably in a 1-2 years. Probably Microsoft will send another team of engineers to fix Intel graphics drivers for them, once again.