What's new

Surface Pro 4 Screen goes blank

DaneL

Hello everyone. I bought a new Surface Pro 4, i7 last week. For the most part it works well. However, the screen goes black all of a sudden while using it. The keyboard light stays on for about 20 seconds then go out. I can press any key and the keyboard lights come on for 20 seconds and go out. I have to hold the power button down to start it back up. It’s not a recovering from sleep or hibernation problem. I’ll be Word, Chrome, or any program when it happens. It has all the latest updates and it wakes up properly from sleep mode every time. It does it one time every other day it seems.This is a great computer system for me and would be pretty much perfect if it weren’t for this problem.
Any suggestions or help? Do I need to return it for another?
Thanks,
DaneL

dman27

Definitely return it. It may be something as simple as the Display driver causing it to crash, but overall if you're having issues this early, just return it and avoid all the hassles.

I'm returning my SP4 today...for the 2nd time for various issues.

leeshor

Since you wanted other input, I would try to figure out why. The reason I say that is that: 1) it doesn't really sound like hardware and 2) several people have returned their Surface devices and ended up with the same issues and it was software related. I don't give up that easily ;);)

OP
D

DaneL

Thanks leeshor. I appreciate your input also. I'm not giving up, just rethinking strategy. I may do a factory reset next and see what happens.

bluegrass

Could it be something as simple as a Power Options (right click on Start button) setting such as the time it takes before putting the computer to sleep. For instance if it was set for 1 minute and you paused for a bit in your operation and didn't move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard for a minute the computer screen could go blank.

Adrian

My SP4 i7 is even worse. the screen goes black and become unresponsive everytime not long after it enters to the Windows and I have no choice but to hold the power button to shut it down. I tried factory reset and did all the update but problem persist. I suspect it is hardware issue in my SP4.
Finally I have to request for replacement.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is the Skylake GPU Video Driver, using the one directly from Intel's download center dated 12/23/2015 fixes 99% of the issues. The problems you'll run into is that it is a reference driver and I've had a DD Crash and Recovery on Facebook twice and one BSOD caused again by a video on Facebook.

Orangish

I'm having the same symptoms with a brand new SP4 I7, all updates installed. Went to the MS store yesterday, they installed some kind of update package.

System seemed stable for about 30 minutes, but has since resumed this behavior.

malexdouglas

Hey has anyone heard anything new. I've been prowling forums for a final solution but it seems we are just waiting on Microsoft? I love this thing but I think about throwing it at a wall when the screen goes black on me as soon as I get knee deep into some work. I'm recovering from a fire and this is my only devise besides my phone should I just look into other options?

OP
D

DaneL

I took my Surface Pro 4, i7 back and exchanged it for another one with less memory. It has been absolutely flawless in every way. I'm loving it!