What's new

Surface Pro 4 skipping Broadwell altogether ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinlevrone

Now that CES 2015 has begun, there is plenty of information about the "just-launched" and delayed Intel Broadwell-U.

I came across this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864...to-know-about-intels-new-broadwell-chips.html

The "thing" number 5 is "No tablets for Broadwell U" and mentions the Surface Pro line. However their arguments are invalid, the Broadwell U has the same TDP as the Haswell U and since Haswell U fits into a tablet, Broadwell can fit too...I'm not sure what to think about this ?

But my plans are to skip Broadwell for Sky Lake anyway.

Nuspieds

I can't even imagine an SP4 with a Haswell CPU! :)

I skipped the SP3 because it uses Haswell; my plan was to skip the SP3 and wait for the new-CPU (Broadwell) SP4.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Intel already signaled Skylake would probably ship late Q4 2015 allowing Broadwell to carry 2015 and devices with Skylake not likely to appear until 2016. That will give them time to tweak Skylake even more.

OP
K

kevinlevrone

I think Intel already signaled Skylake would probably ship late Q4 2015 allowing Broadwell to carry 2015 and devices with Skylake not likely to appear until 2016. That will give them time to tweak Skylake even more.

In fact Sky Lake is very advanced already, as I read in multiple places (including that article). Broadwell arrived very late and it is possible that it will have a very short life (only in new product lines). I'm curious about what Apple will do with the MacBook Air. Their screen resolutions really need an update, so (I suppose) they can't wait until fall with the current line.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In fact Sky Lake is very advanced already, as I read in multiple places (including that article). Broadwell arrived very late and it is possible that it will have a very short life (only in new product lines). I'm curious about what Apple will do with the MacBook Air. Their screen resolutions really need an update, so (I suppose) they can't wait until fall with the current line.
Agreed, the article I recall reading was indicating it was not a product readiness decision but marketing decision. Something could happen that accelerates the Skylake release (like the Tegra X1 knocks it out of the park) but it's probably to their advantage to recover Broadwell investment by holding Skylake untill a littler later than releasing ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.