What's new

Solved Surface Pro 4 - To Screen Protect or NOT...?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone tell me about their experience thus far with using a screen protector with the Surface Pro 4?
With the SP4 Pen having 1,024 degrees of pressure sensitivity, I am not sure how this correlates with the screen and using a screen protector. I mean this thing cost me around $2000.00, so I think it's a no-brainer to throw a screen guard on it, and I am not a serious artist or graphics designer etc. - So not using one seems absurd.

If anyone out there has, or is using screen protection - Please advise me if using one has hindered the overall functionality. Gorilla glass is awesome, until it gets a major league scratch and looks like crap and needs replacement. Thanks in advance.

Mike

eransays

Can anyone tell me about their experience thus far with using a screen protector with the Surface Pro 4?
With the SP4 Pen having 1,024 degrees of pressure sensitivity, I am not sure how this correlates with the screen and using a screen protector. I mean this thing cost me around $2000.00, so I think it's a no-brainer to throw a screen guard on it, and I am not a serious artist or graphics designer etc. - So not using one seems absurd.

If anyone out there has, or is using screen protection - Please advise me if using one has hindered the overall functionality. Gorilla glass is awesome, until it gets a major league scratch and looks like crap and needs replacement. Thanks in advance.

Mike
If you're not putting it in your pocket or using it in a sandstorm, you don't need a screen protector. Just use the typecover when you're not using it. There is almost no reason to use a screen protector on a tablet.

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're not putting it in your pocket or using it in a sandstorm, you don't need a screen protector. Just use the type cover when you're not using it. There is almost no reason to use a screen protector on a tablet.

I can't help but agree with you - Not only do you almost need a laboratory "clean room" to apply a screen cover of that size - you'd need the patience of a Zen Monk to get it on straight. Thanks for you time - I really didn't want to waste more money on this costly item.

CrippsCorner

Agree with the above! Don't ruin the beautiful screen with a protector... mine (a previous version of course) and been going for over 2 years now without a mark on; still looks great :) just be careful.

eransays

Agree with the above! Don't ruin the beautiful screen with a protector... mine (a previous version of course) and been going for over 2 years now without a mark on; still looks great :) just be careful.
Exactly. Before I had my sp4, I had an sp1, which I bought in 2012. Never saw a scratch. I even have 3 kids under the age of 5 and I was able to keep it undamaged. Maybe of you worked on a construction site or something like that, but at that point I'd recommend getting something like the urban armor case.

iliketoys

My buddy had a matte screen protector on his SP3 and it quickly wore down his stylus nib. Personally, I dont think you need one. Never had one on my SP2 and the screen was pristine after 2 years of usage.

Zkyevolved

I put on a screen protector on my surface pro 2, and it's in perfect condition. I understand what most of you are saying. I don't mind that my device gets scratched but the screen is the one thing I can't stand to see a scratch on. So I put on a screen protector on my sp4 as well. I also have the MS complete insurance. But still, spend 2 bucks on a protector to keep it perfect vs play Russian Roulette with my device every time I throw it in my bag (with other papers, books, pens, etc) it's just not worth the risk in my case. But I completely understand everyone's feeling. It's a gorgeous display. And the nibs run better on the glass.... There are different types of protectors. I have had two different ones and one of them is rather smooth. Not like glass. Obviously... But smoother than other ones and a lot better than a matte one.

jtcb

I am surprise by most of your answer that don't have a screen protector. I am planning to get a tempered glass protector. I have even started a thread for my question. So you think it is not necessary? I think the typecover provides good protector already when I am not using the tablet.