What's new

Surface Pro 4 Touchpad not working after last upgrade

senglish

It appears that after the last upgrade to the surface pro 4, my touchpad doesn't work anymore. I know the touchpad works in the bios area after doing a volume up-power button reset, but when windows starts the touchpad stops. Have reset the spro4 to remove any programs and apps that I had installed. Any help please

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

If I understand what you said, it works in the UEFI screen, which means it isn't hardware. Ig it works there but not in Windows there there must be a setting or driver/app issue. If you did a full reset (not a refresh) and it's still acting the same way it may be the Windows pulled something back from the OneDrive sync, maybe a setting that caused the problem.

Try another reset but don't use your Microsoft account to set it up.

OP
S

senglish

Thanks for your help, I now have my touchpad back..

Yes the mouse works in the UEFI screen, so I agree it isn't hardware. I did a reset - where it deletes all my apps and programs and the start up screen says "resetting this PC ##%" and then "Installing Windows ....". I have also checked of course that the touchpad was actually turned on etc.

I don't sign in using my microsoft account, only a local account, however to stop any sync I removed all wireless stations from the surface pro, and have done another reset. And Yay I now have my touchpad working again. Again thank you for your help. Now of course I have to turn the network connection back on. I have disabled windows updates (hopefully). and will go through any available updates manually to test if this is where the problem lies. Is there anything else I can do to try and work out what setting etc is causing the problem?

leeshor

I'm glad it's working again. Hope it stays that way. I'm thinking it was either an app or a setting. Your Microsoft account remembers/stores quite a few of the settings and that may be where it came from the first reset. Keep us posted.

OP
S

senglish

Continuing the story.

As soon as I did a windows update, it downloaded and installed "system hardware update 27/012016", kb226702, kb3133431, kb3124266, kb890830 and kb3132372. and after a restart the touchpad doesn't work again.

Of these the only ones I can uninstall are the security updates kb3124266 and kb3132372 which I don't think will have much to do with the touchpad.

I still feel it is the "system hardware update 27/012016" that is causing the problem. How can I stop this from being downloaded and installed? Anyway off to reset the sp4 again :-(

OP
S

senglish

Did another reset - third I think, no wireless, and when I came back (3 hours later - went whitewater kayaking) the touchpad had stopped working. Looks like it is back to a full reset with no files being kept. The SP4 is certainly not a device for people who want an easy to use device - yet.

OP
S

senglish

The story continues. A full reset, back to no user files, id etc has been done, and no working touchpad. So checked what updates were available and the system hardware update 27/01/2016 and the others listed above had not been installed. So pulled the keyboard off and put back on and voila a working touchpad. Again, another reason why I will not be telling my 80 year old dad that this is the machine to replace his current tablet. Still not fixed yet, as as soon as I do these updates I am sure that I will lose the touchpad again.

OP
S

senglish

So after a fruitless 3 hours - 3 phonecalls with microsoft surface report - I still do not have a touchpad, then as I was about to end the 3rd call I dragged left on a half circle that was on the right of the screen. On dragging it it came up with the right click menu that you usually get when right clicking on the display background and voila my touchpad was back. The touchpad now works for about 5 minutes before this half circle (sometimes a half box) appears again.

At least I know how to get my touchpad back, but it is still not fixed.
upload_2016-2-10_10-37-23.png

The offending half circle can be seen faintly oh the right.

This was occuring on the clean reset of the SP4 - no userinfo left etc
After dragging it left, my touchpad works, for 5 minutes(ish) until the offending half circle reappears again. - as soon as I use the pen the circle disappears however, however its action is still there on touching and dragging from where it was. Touchpad doesn't work until I drag to get the menu
upload_2016-2-10_10-43-4.png

Any thoughts will be appreciated
regards

OP
S

senglish

Okay, For other peoples information then:. I have decided on what the problem is. The touch screen thinks I permanently have a finger touching the screen hence the circle on the right edge. The SP4 is now on its way back to microsoft. The situation had got worse today with me not being able to swipe away the half circle.

When I am in a browser, if I touch the screen somewhere else with another finger and swipe then the browser screen enlarges. The SP4 thinks I am "pinching" the screen to make it bigger. i.e. it sees the other spot on the right hand side as my other finger.

Hopefully the next one will last longer than the 3 months this one lasted.