What's new

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover don't work.

Legolas84

Hi,
I have a surface pro 4. For many years the type cover microsoft don't work correctly. I try different type cover and none work (on other device work normaly).
I would like to solve the problem. I tried everything but nothing worked: windows reinstall, clean connector....
Windows recognize the type cover and install the driver, however the type cover remains off in windows.
In UEFI Bios the mousepad work properly, but buttons reamins off and don't work.

I have last firmware, drivers and windows 10 version installed.

Thanks for help!

OP
L

Legolas84

hi, thanks for the answer.
I read this solution in previous thread on this forum, and i try it, without success. Nothing is change.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Try holding in a key (Windows Key) while connecting the Type Cover.
If that doesn't work, try a cold boot, with the type cover attached, and hold in the Windows Key.

Just trying to help.

OP
L

Legolas84

Unfortunately this don't work. The stranger thing is that the mousepad work properly in bios (but not the keys).

XROne

Are you interested in trying windows 11? I’ve read reports of it working well on some Surfaces marketed before Windows 11 was released. Some models are documented as working well with Linux installed. I believe the Surface Pro 4 is one. The Surface 3 is also documented as working well but I had my keyboard loose functionality when I installed Linux, Pop!OS, after I removed the USB installation USB drive, but until then it worked fine.
My favorite Linux distro on paper is NixOS that has special installation instructions by Surface model. If you have access to a live Linux User Group in your area, you might go there and see if they can get you keys working under windows 10 and if not see what else to try