What's new

Solved Surface Pro 4 type cover is not detected and not showing in Device Manager

Sandswimmer

My Surface Pro Type cover has stopped working a few days ago for no apparent reason.
I have spent hours on this , cleaning the port, rebooting in UFI, reinstalling windows from the Recovery Image, updating Windows to its latest version, following every possible advise I could find about this subject but nothing has solve the problem.
What I have noticed is that the Surface Type Cover drive are not listen in the Device Manager (see image below). These drives are necessary for the Type Cover to function, but despite updating and rebooting they are not installing again.
Does anyone know of a way of reinstalling these independently. I have downloaded them from a folder but do know know how to add them to the device manager.
Capture.PNG

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you are having this problem. Do you know anyone with a Surface Device who would allow you to test your Type Cover?

Drivers will be installed only if the hardware is detected. The list you see in Device Manager is a list of detected devices. Windows will not tolerate drivers existing when hardware is not found. If hardware was found in the past but is now missing, the driver is flagged. But it is not possible to force a driver without Windows "interrupt" processes recognizing that device.

OP
Sandswimmer

Sandswimmer

Sorry you are having this problem. Do you know anyone with a Surface Device who would allow you to test your Type Cover?

Drivers will be installed only if the hardware is detected. The list you see in Device Manager is a list of detected devices. Windows will not tolerate drivers existing when hardware is not found. If hardware was found in the past but is now missing, the driver is flagged. But it is not possible to force a driver without Windows "interrupt" processes recognizing that device.
Thank you! I was just about to try a hardware install so good thing l saw your answer. I have ordered a new surface keyboard cover which should arrive in the next few days. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I will post an update when I get the device.

OP
Sandswimmer

Sandswimmer

Thank you! I was just about to try a hardware install so good thing l saw your answer. I have ordered a new surface keyboard cover which should arrive in the next few days. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I will post an update when I get the device.

UPDATE: The new Microsoft type cover is working flawlessly, so looks like the fault was with the old one. As it's a rather expensive replacement, perhaps Microsoft should improve the quality (and longevity for environmental sake) of this product. Happy with my surface otherwise!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Many have had this problem. Perhaps the rather flexible cover has connections which are easily stretched and broken.