What's new

Surface Pro 4 type cover with... plastic trackpad?

mrfroid

Can it be so? I bought a keyboard from amazon site in Germany, but on arrival I found out that it's with QWERTZ layout so I ordered another one from polish Microsoft site. The moment I started using this polish version, something felt wrong - I just couldn't tell what. Then I checked german version again (still haven't sent back) - trackpad feels completely different (I haven't had SP3 so there's nothing to compare to). I tried to clean trackpad with soft cloth because it feels like it's covered with something, but no, it's just that materials are absolutely different - every time you touch german version it feels cold, like glass. The other one is just plastic. Even keys are smoother on german version. Of course I'm returning this one, just not sure what/where to order so my next keyboard is ok.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Post a picture or a link to one so maybe we can recognize it when we see it. These plastic imitations are likely to show up on eBay.

OP
mrfroid

mrfroid

The one with a plastic feel was ordered on official Microsoft page and shipped from Netherlands (I guess bigger part of Europe gets Surface stuff from there). I might try make a video, but... They look absolutely identical, both of them are original I'm sure, it's just that they feel completely different.

OP
mrfroid

mrfroid

I didn't make any photos of keyboards as they really look identical. But before return I left this message on Microsoft's polish site (as a review for a keyboard):

By mistake I ordered QWERTZ type keyboard from Germany so before returning that one I ordered another one from Poland. Strange as it may sound, but trackpad on these devices is made from different material. On polish version (Spanish, Portuguese as well) it feels like good quality plastic, on German - glass as it should be. At first I though that maybe I need to polish that rough feel/covering, but no - you can't. The worst part is that if not a mistake I made ordering QWERTZ keyboard I wouldn't have find out about this issue. Finally I decided to stick with German keyboard and just remap some keys - if feels so smooth, so good.

Of course it was moderated and didn't appeared online, but this is the answer from them:
Mimo że Pana(-i) opinia nie spełniła wszystkich naszych wytycznych, nasz personel zapoznał się z nią i docenia Pana(-i) wkład. Dziękujemy za podzielenie się swoją opinią i mamy nadzieję, że następnym razem będziemy mogli ją opublikować!

Which basically translates to (with a help of google translate):
Although Your the opinion does not meet all of our guidelines, our staff is familiar with it and appreciates Your contribution. Thank you for sharing your opinion and we hope that next time we will be able to publish it!