What's new

Surface Pro 4 - wishlists!

~X.T.~

Well I would disagree with a pen silo as it wastes precious internal space, prefer a purpose-designed magnetic attachment (currently the power connector attaches to the battery in the pen rather nicely, but I bet that wasn't intentional design)

Some other suggestions:

- an integrated GPS chip would make the SP4 combined with HERE maps an absolute BEAST.

- a camera that has autofocus. Was really disappointed with the fixed focus camera. 5 megapixels won't do me any good if I can't focus on anything within a metre.

Maximus3D

Some good and some bad suggestions here.. i'll throw in a few more.

- Atlesat 1024 levels of pressure on the pen.
- Better batterylife
- Rotatable kickstand which works in vertical mode
- Slightly thicker device, too thin is not optimal
- Included keyboard
- Lots of accessories we can spend our money on
- Modular internal construction so SSD can be upgraded by user
- 8GB as minimum, 16GB as maximum, ditch the 4GB lowend models and drop prices to attract more customers. Loss in manufacturing costs per unit will be compensated by increased sales.
- Tilt and rotate support for the pen
- Dedicated graphics even if it means increased device thickness
- UI scaling fixed in OS.
- more to come..

/ Magnus

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Some good and some bad suggestions here.. i'll throw in a few more.

- Atlesat 1024 levels of pressure on the pen.
- Better batterylife
- Rotatable kickstand which works in vertical mode
- Slightly thicker device, too thin is not optimal
- Included keyboard
- Lots of accessories we can spend our money on
- Modular internal construction so SSD can be upgraded by user
- 8GB as minimum, 16GB as maximum, ditch the 4GB lowend models and drop prices to attract more customers. Loss in manufacturing costs per unit will be compensated by increased sales.
- Tilt and rotate support for the pen
- Dedicated graphics even if it means increased device thickness
- UI scaling fixed in OS.
- more to come..

/ Magnus
You've described a $3000-4000 Machine due to the requirements for the Wacom Panel (that Wacom won't actually sell to OEMs), the engineering required for user replaceable parts and dedicated graphics and RAM and larger battery... would need a different cooling.

If this is what you're looking for you may consider the Modbook Pro....

For most users who are looking at the Surface they want it thinner not thicker

Maximus3D

Yep i know what i'm looking for and it's sadly one expensive piece of hardware. But you can't have the cake and eat it, by that i mean that a thin device cannot be as powerful as everyone wishes with upgradability (if that's a real word) at a fair price. Thickness like the Surface Pro 2 would be good enough for the device to be upgraded with a different SSD and still keep the airflow good within the device itself.

The rest of the components can be soldered on the motherboard as they are today, but many users would like to upgrade the SSD sooner or later.

/ Magnus

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
SP2 didn't sell as well due to its chunkiness, the SP3 at least by most reports is out selling all other devices....

JimB

Sim card slot or internal options for cellular. Heck, ATT lets you add an iPad to your plan for 10.00 per month. Why can't the Surface 4 get in on that offer? Full size SD card slot. 2 USB and pen silo holder.

Morgan

Ali Baba is offering a Surface Pro 4 for sale that includes all of the features asked for in this thread. And Ali Baba is a company you can trust.

noble

surface pro 4 wishlist:

- the surface pro is a tablet it should be LIGHTER
- 2 USB 3.1 ports
- multitasking is tiresome on a 12 inch display so a 13 inch display would be a big improvment
- better battery life
- 5th gen i3, i5, i7 processors not the new m processors wich are slow and cant handle real work
- hdmi port
- Full size SD card slot
- close to a 90 degree angle for the stand (unrealistic wishfull thinking)
- a 1000 dollar model with i5 processor, 256 GB of storage, and 8 GB of ram
- emproved and lower priced type cover
- and most importantly better software. Improve the goddamn UI no matter how good the hardware is if the software is bad the device wont live up to its potential and wont be user friendly.

dstrauss

For SP4, please bring back native 16:9 1920x1080 resolution - whatever size the screen.....

PLEASE NO! The 3:2 screen form factor is the most brilliant innovation of the Surface pro 3! It is nearly a perfect analog (in portrait) for letter size documents, and give a substantial additional workspace pad for all productivity software in landscape.

16:9 is an abomination of the streaming media crowd (movies and some games - thanks for nothing Hollywood). It is not a "native" resolution but a reaction of monitor makers to watching videos on Netflix or DVD's. It serves NO USEFUL PURPOSE on a business class device like this that can't be achieved with black bars for the consumption crowd.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
15:10 :) would work but not 16:9 although id take 16:10 over 16:9 any day.
16:12 is too old school its like running DOS. :D

OP
T

TheCudder

- 17 inches screen allows proper work on long days basis, with lots of hours :
after all, we are talking about work AND without eyestrain and not playing games, press reading etc...!
Today working on EXCEL, WORD, PHOTOSHOP, AFTER EFFECTS, LIGHTROOM, or wathever is just impossible on a regular day timetable!

The current screen size of the Surface Pro 3 is perfect, you have to remember this is a TABLET that can be a laptop also. A 17-inch tablet makes no sense when it comes to portability and being comfortable to use in the hands.