What's new

Surface Pro 4 - wishlists!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is a case where it's a half house on which is better. When i originally bought it i was a little annoyed that there was no magnetic locking for the cover etc, but after owning for a while, i actually really like that it just flops back, makes it feel just like a book and it has actually really grown on my compared to prizing the voer off my tablet cases.

All i'd like is same/more power (no core M please!) but with an if possible, fanless design.
Short of redefining the laws of physics and thermodynamics, the invention of a heat transporter, etc. I do not see the possibility of a 15W or even 10w part in a Fanless design *ever* happening.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For all of you who want to know the "Whys and How's" of the engineering of the SP3 please watch this presentation Vineet Thuvara from the Surface Engineering Team and you'll get most of your questions answered on why does it have only the one USB Port, Micro-SD Card, removable batteries...etc.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK3302

do not use a micro usb charging port like the surface 3, I think this was a mistake as I like the magnetic type port. USB 3.0 + USB C, ( don't even think of using one port for everything like the new MacBook!!!) ditch the 64gb option for 128gb minimum ...put a fan on the processor , 12 or 13.3 " display is plenty for a tablet pc

malberttoo

Ok, some frustrations I would really like to see dealt with in the SP4-

SOME method (besides my current rubber band solution) off keeping the TypeCover attached to the screen, preferably a magnetic sort of thing like the Apple smart covers.

But much more than that, I want a recessed or inverted power button. Oh MAN I am so sick of the thing constantly getting bumped into something and switched on!!! :mad:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a Surface 3 Plus wish list:
10.8 inch, Skylake Core M, 8GB, 256GB, USB3.1 TYPE A & C ports, Quick Charge, DP 1.3 or 1.4a + DockPort support, Wireless ac/ad WiGig, back panel heat spreader, keyboard connector doubles as dock connector, Flat Porta-Dock with wired & wireless connect. Biometric authentication. RealSense 3D camera/scanner, Engineering/Architect measurement software.

JWill

I've given it some thought and this is what I've come up with:

1. Get the Skylake processor with core M for the base model and a fan-less design for that model. Keep the I5 and I7 with fans for the higher models.
  2. Put on an anti-reflective screen but keep it classy (The current screen is gorgeous but terrible in the sunlight).
  3. Use the “eraser” end of the pen as a functional mouse. Imagine being able to track with one end of the pen, flip it, and then annotate with the other!
  4. Ditch the USB 3.0. As long as I get 2 USB Type-C ports an adapter and an overall thinner design in return, I’m a happy camper.
  5. Make a more rigid keyboard (but keep the feel and color customization).
  6. Engineer a bigger keyboard track-pad.
  7. Make more rounded edges, or not, but just make the corners less harsh to hold.
  8. Decrease the bezels along the lengths. The keyboard magnet will need to be re-engineered as well as the camera unfortunately. The camera would be able to be moved to the left side in landscape (top in portrait) to make this happen. I don’t know how the keyboard could be changed though.
  9. Put in support for Windows Hello and/or a fingerprint scanner.

I guess to limit a must have on my list:
#3: Have Windows 10 support DPI scaling properly.
#4: Speed compairable to the i5 in my SP2. Keep the fan. Just make it work wel enough where it doesn't get any hotter than a iPad.
#5: Needs 2xUSB3.0 it's ok if no USB-C. If you need an adapter to carry, it's not worth it yet. Save it for SP5.
#6: Minimum i5/i7 Haswell, or Broadwell if possible./8GB (C'mon,memory is cheap now)/128GB SSD+
#9: MS can take a hit in $$ if it's to bring in the customers. With so many CHEAP 3rd party 2 in 1 computers and think/light notebooks, the high end of the SP4 should be around $1500 w/keyboard to compete with other devices.
#10: At least 8 hours of web use or word processing. Using 60% brightness. Or watching a HD SSD stored movie for up to 6hrs. Enough to last a long flight.

While many of us consider this a laptop and want to game on it (I do), I understand it won't be like a gaming notebook, but at least make it well enough that someone looking at an iPad will see this as an option. Support DirectX12.

I would want, coming from a SP2...

1. Screen Size- Same as SP3. I think 12in is fine. Hows about a thinner border and a easy way to kill the windows flag on the tablet face.

2. No bloatware/freeware- Give it on a thumbdrive or as a downloadable link to those that want it.

3. Screen Resolution- Same as SP3. As long as the dot pitch is high enough so text is smooth and windows can SUPPORT DPI adjustment as well as a Apple product, I'm fine. I want to run my Photoshop it high resolution, but have my menus readable please.

4. Weight and size- Same is ok. A bit heavier with larger battery. I don't care if Broadwell/Haswell can be used without a fan. Make it work so 80% what a person does, doesn't need it. But the 20% work that makes the CPU/GPU hit 100% has a fan to keep it cooler. NOT hot, but warm to touch is fine. I wouldn't care if I could hear the fan that much if I knew I could keep it on my lap or hold it without feeling like my fingers are going to get burned like my SP2.

5. Ports- At lease 2 USB 3.0 and one USB-C if possible. With higher wattage to allow USB fast charging of cellphones.

6. CPU/MEMORY/STORAGE- Minimum i5/i7 Haswell, or Broadwell if possible./8GB (C'mon,memory is cheap now)/128GB SSD/

7. Display- Same or better than the one in the SP3.

8. Exta hardware- a Long charging cord. I would rather have a thinner ac adapter than a thicker (square) brick. Easier to put in a bag.
Pen- At least something that works as well as Wacom pens. AND works to ALL corners of the display!

9. Price- $1500 on the high end. BUT include the damn keyboard. You want people to NOT buy Apple? Give more at a cheaper price. Once they see how good it is, they'll continue to buy the product.

10. Battery life - At least 8 hours of web use or word processing. Using 60% brightness. Or watching a HD SSD stored movie for up to 6hrs. Enough to last a long flight.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
While many of us consider this a laptop and want to game on it (I do), I understand it won't be like a gaming notebook, but at least make it well enough that someone looking at an iPad will see this as an option. Support DirectX12.

Since when was an ipad capable of running CS:GO or TF2 or call of duty or battlefield etc? The SP3 already kicks the living daylights out of ipads for (real) gaming.

Since when was an ipad capable of running CS:GO or TF2 or call of duty or battlefield etc? The SP3 already kicks the living daylights out of ipads for (real) gaming.
To clarify, I mean running in ultra resolution with as little gfx features turned down. And not burning your hands. Lol.
The SP2 that I have is ok with some games. But just doesn't have the gfx power to run at full resolution and higher than normal gfx settings. The SP3 with higher resolution is gonna struggle to push that much pixels on the screen too and if the SP4 goes higher resolution still, I can't see it running newest games at high resolution without turning down the gfx to low.

Last edited:

rambler358

My wish with the SP4 is to play Star Wars: Battlefront at a decent FPS and default screen res. I don't expect to see that happen though.