What's new

Surface Pro 4 - wishlists!

godzillinois

- a third keyboard, which I'll conveniently call "the hard cover". This one should be heavier then touch/type cover, carry an additional battery and be able to lock the surface in so that it actually works and feels like a laptop.

- Bundles. Instead of buying the surface and all accessories seperatly, make bundles that include a docking station, keyboard covers, etc.

THESE. With a "hard cover" they would solve the biggest problem stopping them from being a true laptop replacement-stability/typing experience.

Also, making it upgradeable like normal PCs would be game changing! Can you imagine a tablet with slots for more RAM or upgradeable processors? Honestly if they just keep each iteration coming out with different processors and just have upgradeable RAM slots that'd make me happy!

From an artist perspective, I'd also like the pressure sensitivity back to at least 1024 as well.

My wish list would be to have size options with the next surface rather than one new one. I guess at the moment it doesnt matter to much as their isnt a great deal of difference between the performance of the 2 and 3 with the i5 (although the i7 is a marked upgrade). The next update might not be so close though. I like my 10 in pro 2. If it was thinner and lighter like the 3 then great, but in terms of screen size its near perfect for my needs. Ideally though I think the sweet spot would be 11 inch and 13 inch. Any bigger and your losing your portablity and any smaller your losing usability. Only problem with those sizes is that it makes the current crop of keyboards redundant in future.
Thats about it really. Keep updating with the latest and most efficient mobile processor technology and focus improvements on weight, heat dispersion and battery life. And I hope for artists sake that they sort out the sensitivity profile options for NTrig.
Oh, an extra USB port wouldnt go amis as well as I've not been impressed by any of the blue tooth mice ive tried so far in comparison to a Logitech MX Anywhere which is my mouse of choice and I like to still have the option to plug something else in.

OP
T

TheCudder

-A rubber lip/trim along the edge of the kickstand could help with the issue of the kickstand collapsing with too much pressure applied.

-A polycarbonate or metal trim along the edge of the TypeCover. The current material wears and collects dirt way too easily.

glx

I'd like to have it smaller again (SP/2-size). A 4G-modem would be nice. And a power-connector that keeps the same for the next 50 generations ;). Some kind of 'feet' or something for the kickstand that keeps it from slipping around. And finally, as many others think too, the price of the covers (I mean, it's just a keyboard with a special-connector.....) is way to high.

reptilian

For SP4, please bring back native 16:9 1920x1080 resolution - whatever size the screen. As a very happy original Surface Pro 128 user, I was disappointed to see the new Surface Pro 3 3:2 screen ratio 2160 x 1440 res. Although this may be "higher" res, we live in a 16x9 world, every HDTV, PC, movies, etc are designed for this. For photographers, Surface is great for full screen 1080 pics and video, and why change to anything else until we reach 4K (which really isn't necessary for screens of this size yet)? I would love a slightly bigger screen, but within the 11 and 13" range and 16:9 only please! If they can do this and keep the keyboards backwards compatible, that would be great. But those accessories can be improved and one day the old ones won't exist anymore. Of course, the usual processor, cooler, thinner, latest wifi/bluetooth, etc upgrades are to be expected. I agree with whoever said 128GB should be minimum for Pro. IF possible, a second USB port would really help. This is one of the only things keeping my Surface from being a complete desktop replacement (and just a little better GPU/games performance but that is getting closer). I could add more to the wish list, but screen size, more GPU/processor, and 2nd USB port are my top 3 requests. Other things like fingerprint scanner and waterproofing, while awesome, I think those costs might outweigh the demand.

I still stand by the original Surface keyboard 'touch' version - it has the best mouse/touchpad of any model since and does not suffer the two-handed/right clicking issues. MS needs to research this, I would buy a newer keyboard but the "both hands" mouse right clicking still has problems, I believe even with the Surface Pro 3 era keyboards.

Wish lists aside, MS knocked it out of the park with Surface Pro, possibly the best computer I've owned. I attached a pic of Diablo 3 running on Surface Pro, into the Xbox One, using Bluetooth Logitech devices on the couch. I was technically playing D3 on Xbox One before it was released ;) No other tablets can do this that I know of.

Attachments

• WP_20140818_005.jpg
    WP_20140818_005.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 423

compnovo

I don't believe this one bit. Those websites don't even seem legit... if a new Surface is coming that soon, it'll be an update to the RT line.
It threw me at first until I looked at the date of the articles (both Aug 2). Old news, or should I say "conjecture"?

the9thdude

The Surface Pro 3, in my mind, is pretty much the best form factor Microsoft could have come up with. The screen is perfect, so that can stay the same, but I would really like to see improved thermal performance in the base model. Outside of a spec bump, better performance, and perhaps a pen silo; what want is a better dock.

As it stands, I don't really like the Docking station. While it's great for getting additional USB ports into your Surface Pro as well as a hard ethernet connection, it's a bit... lacking. I'd like to see fans installed into the dock (with filters?) and an integrated GPU. It may sound a bit unfeasible, but bear with me for a moment.

I would like to reintroduce... the Sony Vaio Z21 Ultrabook (now sadly discontinued):
z10452601Q,Sony-Vaio-Z21.jpg

Complete, with a Blu-ray drive and an external GPU, an AMD HD 6650M graphics chip. It's by no means a beasty chip, but it's better than an iGPU.

Dear Microsoft, can we please get a dock with a GPU and a ODD as well as the ports you have on them already? Pretty please?

kiwiii

Hi,
happy French owner (excuse my weak English here) of the Surface Pro, I dream of a SURFACE PRO 4 with a 17 inches screen, 4 USB 3.1 Ports and a SD Card Slot ( not micro SD), etc...

BECAUSE :

- 17 inches screen allows proper work on long days basis, with lots of hours :
after all, we are talking about work AND without eyestrain and not playing games, press reading etc...!
Today working on EXCEL, WORD, PHOTOSHOP, AFTER EFFECTS, LIGHTROOM, or wathever is just impossible on a regular day timetable!

- 4 USB Ports : because just one is not enough , and if working (again) means having an attached USB HUB etc... we loose all the use for a SURFACE PRO!

- SD Card READER : because they allow larger SD cards sizes (than micro SD), and would allow to read most DIGITAL CAMERA SD CARDS... without again the need for an external reader, etc .... attached to the SURFACE PRO !

- Higher Stylus sensitivity/better tracking of the stylus : speed tracing or long tracing on photoshop... looses the STYLUS on Surface Pro 3 !

These are my main hopes for a BEST SELLER .... I think.
Thanx for reading.

>vincent. b .
PARIS - FRANCE

PS1. Of course I have other wishes (new Intel Chipset no fan, better stereo sound, etc...) but we can't have them all ;o)))

But take note that all the SMARTPHONES (even the latest iPhones!) are getting bigger and bigger : so why design smaller or even 8 inches SURFACE PRO ?
It's a joke ! A No Work Toy !?

So please let's make BIGGER SURFACE PROs 15,6 et 17 inches ;o))), cause PRO means WORK, not play...

PS2. I didn't buy Surface Pro 3 (and certainly not SP2!!) because of all of the above, and certainly not at 2.000 euros !

Sarsoman

Other than the typical internal improvements (broadwell, battery life, etc), my wishlist would be:

- Improved Type Cover: I absolutely love my SP3 and it's easily the most innovative device I've ever used but I've just not gotten used to the type cover, for $130 the quality should be much higher (considering for that price you can get a full gaming keyboard if you'd like). I bought my SP3 for taking notes in class and although it's a wonderful note taking device I still find typing on my Macbook a lot easier.

- Internal Stylus Pen Slot: One of my other issues is how I always seem to misplace my Stylus pen if I'm just using my surface without the keyboard, an internal slot would do wonders for me in terms of quality of life improvement.

Other than that I'm completely satisfied with it.